Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

April 25th, 2016 11:00

E5510 will not boot.

Hello guys,

I have a Dell Latitude E5510 that will not boot up.  A friend was carrying it around and shut the laptop down while it was performing Windows updates.  The next day I tried to boot it up and it would not come back up.

I cannot do anything to this computer to get it to come back up.  I turn on the device and the Dell loading screen show and the progress bar completes but then a black screen will show up and nothing else.  Some times the blinking underscore in the upper left corner will show but most times just a black screen.  I check BIOS and the hard drive, memory, and dvd drive all show available.  Running A13 BIOS code.

I have tried to reformat the drive but when I try to go to the one time boot choice I select either USB or DVD drive and then just a complete black screen again.  I try to go to Diagnostics and black screen.  I have tried to swap out hard drives to no avail.  Swapped out memory to no avail as well.  Unhook one RAM and the dvd drive and nothing.

Some times pressing F8 will give me the option to try to boot into safe mode and pressing any of the three options looks like its loading files and then glitches out and reboots into the black screen again; sometimes blinking underscore, sometimes just black screen.  I cannot get it to boot into a USB or windows OS CD.

Any advise is welcome!

Thanks

Zaxious

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 25th, 2016 12:00

What OS? How was it installed in UEFI or Legacy?

This system is the earliest systems with a UEFI BIOS and so may be booting to UEFI instead of legacy etc. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyut46uoaiI

At 10:40 I look at my E5510 and at 14:20 in particular its BIOS settings. In my case I prepare for a UEFI install of Windows 10 TH2.

4 Posts

April 25th, 2016 12:00

It had OEM Windows 7 32-bit SP1.  I have turned on the UEFI as suggested but it shows no boot options available.  I tried to add one to my supposed bootable USB with the A16 firmware exe but it just black screens me.  Tried perform the F5 diagnostic and sometimes I get the blue screen saying performing MAK test and the familiar black screen.

I have watch the video at the points you stated but seeing as how I cannot get anywhere near loading windows up, I cannot update my BIOS.

Thank you for your response and any additional advise anyone can give.

Zaxious

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 25th, 2016 14:00

For Windows 7 32 Bit UEFI will have to be switched off...

4 Posts

April 26th, 2016 05:00

Thank you for exploring down this path.  If anyone else has any suggestions, tools, or tricks they can speak of, please let me know.

Thanks

Zax

No Events found!