Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2016 12:00

E5570 Latitude Windows 10 Bitlocker Issue

Recently received a new batch of Latitude  E5570 Laptops. Did my normal thing of applying a Win10-VL image, activating bitlocker post install and everything normally runs fine on all my other Latitudes (E5550,E5540, etc.)

However, the following behaviors now occurs:

Scenario 1. User undocks laptops, takes home and turns on at home. 25-50% of the time, the computer prompts for the Bitlocker Recovery Key even though nothing has changed except for the laptop being undocked.  The more unusual behavior is that if we shut the computer down and leave it alone for a few minutes, then turn back on, the computer loads properly without a Bitlocker Recovery prompt.

Scenario 2. User has been using undocked laptop at home. Brings back into office, docks laptop, turns laptop on, is prompted for Bitlocker Recovery Key. If we turn the laptop off, wait a few minutes and power cycle on, the laptop then boots properly.  In a few occasions, even a few minutes makes no difference and the recovery key is still requested. We undock the laptop, power it on and windows loads fine. We then redock it while the laptop is on and then with successive reboots, power off and on have no issues.

I've already tried to swap out different docks, tried different E5570 laptops, tried different monitor setups, different SSD e-Drives,  (Tried with no USB devices attached as well), all to no avail.

Tested on BIOS Versions: 1.7.3, 1.05.00, 1.04.07 (All we with the same results). Anyone else seeing this type of behavior? It's not back breaking, but have not had this issue with any of our other Latitude series laptops.

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2016 02:00

We recently received a Latitude E5570 and Latitude E7270, installed Windows 10 then BitLocked.

On every bootup the BitLocker code is been asked for, updated the latest Bios and followed every solution on the net to no avail.

Called Dell and after 4 transfers to different department I was cut off!!!

5 Posts

August 1st, 2016 20:00

Was able to get through to 2nd level tech support and chatted with a really good guy who troubleshooted with me on one of the test machines and he explained to me that the new intel skylake platform has been creating some challenges on their end. Seems to make sense to me since I didn't have any issues with the exact same configs on the E5550 (Broadwell) and Bitlocker.

We ended up flashing the TPM from 1.2 to 2.0 and this seems to have fixed the issue. Will need to test for a few days to see if the solution sticks. Here's the steps we took to get the firmware flashed.

1. Disable Bitlocker
2. Run PowerShell as Admin and execute Disable-TpmAutoProvisioning cmdlet
3. Clear TPM via TPM.msc (Reboot Requires User to Press F12 to Affirm Changes)
4. Apply TPM2.0 Firmware Update (downloaded from http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=2105J)
5. Run PowerShell as Admin and execute Enable-TpmAutoProvisioning cmdlet
6. Resetup Bitlocker
7. Test

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 13:00

Thanks for posting this info.  When you say disable bitlocker, do you mean fully decrypt the drive, or just suspend bitlocker?

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 14:00

Fully Decrypt. These are the steps I ran through with the Dell Tier 2 tech. Not sure suspending would be safe for transitioning from 1.2 to 2.0.  I'm using a e-Drive so its almost instant but on conventional drives/hybrids you will probably want to factor in decrypting time.

No Events found!