Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 11th, 2016 05:00

E6230 BIOS update doesn't work

I'm using a E6230 running BIOS A01. I want to update to the latest version, A16. The update process runs without error and reboots the laptop. However the BIOS version is still A01. I've tried updating from A01 to A02 as well: same result. I tried to update running both Windows and a USB drive with DOS. What do I need to do to install A16? Thanks!

3 Posts

November 14th, 2016 16:00

I've found a working solution elsewhere online. If the BIOS update program runs successfully but your BIOS isn't updated: disconnect your CMOS battery for a few seconds and reconnect it. If you boot now, the BIOS reports that it lost its config, datetime etc. Confirm this (save and exit) and boot, re-flash. Now the BIOS will be updated.

Please note that you might think that loading defaults from the BIOS will do the same but it doesn't: it seems that a low-level NVRAM setting is corrupted and can only be reset by disconnecting the CMOS battery.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

November 12th, 2016 09:00

Read the Important Information section here and see if it applies to you-- www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

Let the scanner tell you what upgrades you might need. Maybe version A16 is not for your configuration.

3 Posts

November 14th, 2016 16:00

Scanner says: install A16.

No Events found!