Highlighted
habanero56
1 Copper

E6230 audio problems, Windows 7-64bit

Hi, folks.

I purchased an E6230 secondhand, less HD. I installed a SanDisk 240GB SSD & upgraded the RAM to 16GB. I loaded W7 Pro 64bit on the machine, loaded drivers per instructions on the E6230 driver download page, & activated Windows via phone. The audio worked fine until I upgraded to W10. After much fooling around, I reloaded W7P64, drivers, etc. as before. Audio was working fine after opening Sound & checking Speakers as active. Device Manager showed two devices, high-def audio & the Intel IDT. Connected to the internet & Windows downloaded 212 updates, which I proceeded to install. The update installation failed at which point Windows reverted back. After rebooting, the speaker in the system tray has a red X & it only shows three HDMI sources, no speaker or headphones. Device Manager shows only high-def audio, no Intel IDT. I tried to reinstall the audio driver found on the download page but I get a message saying that "the hardware detected is not supported by this IDT software package. The install will be aborted". I've tried earlier versions as well.

I've tried Googling the problem & have seen that others have had a problem but they seem to have the IDT still available in Device Manager. I'd really like to get this resolved. I like the E6230 & it runs well except for the audio. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

E6230 with i5-3340m BIOS version A14, SanDisk 240GB SSD, G-Skill 2x8GB PC3L-12800, W7P64 (less updates), WIFI card, 90W power supply.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

RE: E6230 audio problems, Windows 7-64bit

Manager shows only high-def audio

Hello. There is no requirement to install the IDT audio driver. You should be getting audio now with just the Windows native audio driver (High Definition Audio Device). Something might have gone wrong with the IDT audio chip for it to no longer be recognized.

The best way to test the audio hardware is to perform a system recovery and return the laptop to the original factory configuration but you don't have option. You could download a version of Linux Live, put it on a disk and boot into it, as a test. If the audio hardware is okay but not now working because of a Windows issue, then it will work in Linux.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos