Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2009 20:00

E6400 No Middle Mouse Button in Touchpad Settings

I am using a e6400 and when i go into the dell touchpad configuration software, under the pointer buttons, there is no longer a middle mouse button.  There is a left, both together, and a right.  This keyboard physically has a middle mouse button for the pointing stick and there used to be a way to configure it.

It was this way when i was running vista, and now that I am using windows 7 it is still that way.

I installed the latest drivers 7.x a few minutes ago and have the same issue.  What is wrong.  please help

1 Message

November 5th, 2009 12:00

Go to Control Panel->Mouse->Dell Touchpad->Pointing Stick Settings and uncheck "Enable Scrolling"

That should make the middle button go back to its normal behavior.

September 25th, 2012 00:00

E6500 Win7/64

This answer only partially works.  Doesn't work with the TouchPad but with the Pointing Stick! (???)

This is my 3rd Dell Latitude that the Pointing Stick starts the pointer moving diagonally across the screen, and overrides the TouchPad, but not an external mouse.

I usually disable the pointing stick--but that stops the middle button from functioning.  the "click" is read, but no other functionality is present.

For use in CAD (drafting) programs, you need the middle button for moving around the drawing.  (As in Acrobat; the little 'panning Hand'.

This is a very frustrating bug.

Any other answers?

December 18th, 2013 16:00

Well, I thought I had it fixed, and it went back to acting like it did before, so I repeated the steps above in the dell application AND then went back into control panel > mouse properties > wheel and UNCHECKED the enable vertical scrolling checkbox.  It now works correctly providing me with a true click and scroll feature.  Must be two applications fighting over the same control. but it's fixed now :-)

Just a sec!! through the Dell Touchpad application, I selected the Pointing Stick > Disable, and Pointing Stick Buttons > Enable. Seems to have worked for me.

Your absolutely correct!!! This is very frustrating. I have am M6400 and the pogo stick middle mouse button allows me to power scroll down or up on each web page. Its a great feature!!  But alas, the feature does not work for me on my E6400, it only pops up an ICON like a compass and none of the other buttons or touch pad components provide any response or assistance, it is as if the computer is confused and does nothing.  It's very frustrating.  Most middle mouse buttons are used for scrolling, so I don't understand what else I'm supposed to do.

No Events found!