Highlighted
R1DDO
1 Copper

E6420 - GPS & Cellular

Folks,

I have recently upgraded from a D630, to a E6420 XFR.

Help required please, I am trying to figure out the following:

1. Is it possible to retrofit the Augmentix_GPS-Mini-Card (Dell P/N: 64N5X)? If so where can I obtain the card, other than the service manual and sales data sheets they appear to be as rare as hens teeth.

2. I also want to add a 4G cellular data card. Can anyone recommend one for this machine? (I am UK based)

Alternatively is it possible to use one of the Dell combo 4G/GPS cards in lieu of the Augmentix/4G solution.

Anyone offer any help on this please?

--R1DDO - Ian

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: E6420 - GPS & Cellular

Hi R1DDO,

Thanks for posting.

Did you order your E6420 XFR with the Mobile Broadband installed?  If not, the infrastructure (ie: wires, cables, antennas, etc.) may not be inside the computer to support an after manufacture card purchase.

The following factory installed options are available:

Wireless LAN and WiMAX Options:
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 (802.11a/b/g/n) Dell Wireless 1501 (802.11 b/g/n 1x1)
Intel® Centrino® Advanced -N + WiMAX 6250 (802.11a/b/g/n + 802.16e)7 Dell Wireless 1530 (802.11 a/g/n 2x2)
Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 (802.11a/b/g/n)

Mobile Broadband6 & GPS Options7:
Dell Wireless™ 5630 Multi-mode HSPA-EVDO Mini Card (Gobi™ 3000) with A-GPS7
Dell Wireless 5550 Single-mode HSPA Mini Card with A-GPS Dell Wireless 5800 (LTE/4G) Mobile Broadband7
Dedicated GPS and antenna, SiRFstarIV™
Optional triple RF-passthough

Wired:
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
Bluetooth Options:
Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth® 3.0

If the upgrade was not ordered at time of purchase, you may have to rely on a wifi hotspot for your cellular data service.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
R1DDO
1 Copper

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your reply. I will try and work through your questions:

I've just bought the machine second hand. It appears to be an odd specification. It has a quad core i7 processor, 8GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, 14" screen with touch. It does not have the Augmentix GPS, although the green antenna wire is fitted and connected to a small box on the under the top left hand access panel of the display. All the antenna's are fitted for the 3G/4G cellular data card. My machine does not have the option "RF" passthrough module fitted. The Bluetooth module fitted to my machine is the 380 model and is definitely Bluetooth 4 compatible! Like I say it's a very odd specification. I thought all these machines had dual core i7 processors (Gen 2 / mobile variant) and that the E6430 model used the later Gen 4 (quad core) processor. Still I'm not complaining.

The original options were for a separate 3G card (various models were avaialble) and a separate GPS card (Augmentix) Dell P/N 64N5X.

If possible I would like to upgrade the machine so it has the separate GPS module and a separate 4G wireless card.

Are the parts still available from Dell? I have searched eBay and various other web sites looking for the GPS module but can't find anything.

Appreciate your help.

--Ian (R1DDO)

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ian,

If the parts are available, you could purchase from Dell Spare Parts, parts-people.com, or Discount Electronics.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos