Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2011 14:00

E6420 Not recognizing USBs when on a docking station

New Dell 6420 Running Windows 7 32-bit-- while connected to the docking station, it does not recognize the USB ports. Ive connected my USB mouse into each usb port and recieve nothing. I connect it to the port on the laptop itself, while docked, and its recognized. My initial thought was bad docking station, tried a different one (both are new) with the same result. I actually ended up trying 4 all together during my whole process. Ive done the whole reboot, powercyle on and off the docking station with same result. I tested the usb ports while docked in the bios-- the mouse is recognized in all ports. This is while the laptop is docked, in the bios settings. So i figured Windows issue, maybe a bad installation.. i started Windows and now all but 2 usb ports on the docking station (or the port replicator i should say) are detecting the usb mouse and other usb devices. I also checked device manager (while docked and undocked) the only thing amiss is an unknown device under usb devices (this unknown device stays there while docked and undocked).  Any suggestions on what may be going on and what i should do fix this... im tryin to stay away from doing a complete re-install.

Thanks.

1 Message

June 26th, 2014 15:00

DISCLAIMER: THIS MAY NOT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM (but there's an equal chance it will so I would try it if I were you)

Hi,

I just started a new job and had the same problem. I fixed it as follows:

Go to Computer

Go to System Properties

Go to Device Manager

You should see section after "Network Adapters" full of "Unknown Devices" for me there were two of them and two other devices with unrecognized names.

Right Click on each of these starting from the first on and select "Update Driver Software..."

Select "Search Automatically"

After I updated all these drivers and plugged the nano receiver for my wireless keyboard and mouse into the dock the computer finally recognized it and let me use the keyboard and mouse, I'm using it as I type this message :)

I hate seeing these tickets up on sites for years without anyone responding to them it's really frustrating and not a good sign for a manufacturer/vendor like Dell. Hope everyone who comes to this forum with this problem gets it resolved.

Best,

Mike

1 Message

April 10th, 2012 11:00

Did anyone find a resolution to this problem? I am having a similar issue, and swapped out the laptop with a simalar one and it worked! This is definately a laptop issue and not a docking station issue.

4 Posts

October 30th, 2012 17:00

All,

I would also kindly request the community if anyone has found a solution.  Exact same issue.  E6420 (running Windows 7), and USB ports on laptop work (always), but USB ports on replicator/docking station do not.  

From previous post and other threads - it sounds like a laptop config issue, but I have absolutely no idea where to start/look!

Thanks so much!

4 Posts

October 30th, 2012 18:00

All other devices work, just USB ports not working... weird...

193 Posts

while in the docking station, see if deletign and rescanning the root hubs work....

193 Posts

Also, dumb question -- do the other devices (NIC, video, etc) work on the port replicator.

4 Posts

October 30th, 2012 19:00

(second mouse plugged into dock USB port)

4 Posts

October 30th, 2012 19:00

Thanks for the suggestion Faizalenu...   whilst having the laptop docked, rescanning seemed to do the trick.  Not sure if I wasn't patient enough - but just rescanning at first didn't work.  plugged in a second mouse, rescanned and seemed to "recognize" the dock ports.

Again - odd, but appreciate the suggestion!

Thanks!

May 7th, 2013 10:00

I have a Dell E6420 running windows 7 64 bits with no problem while connected to docking station (e-port) but all the USB controller goes crazy when I connect to the docking the USB hub from a Dell monitor, new hardware is detectted and I need to restart. After that the system works well until Windows finish the load after logon, at this moment they recognize the USB Root Hub and assign it a driver and the USB's goes deactivate (complete loss of power, no keyboard leds nor mouse laser) and the system doesn't recognize the GPU (Intel + Nvidia).

These situation repeats every time that i restart, the only solution was restore an image previous the problem.

Tomorrow I will call to Dell support to ask about it.

Regards, Luis.

May 7th, 2013 11:00

My problem was solved when I disable one of the two USB Root Hub from the Device Manager and refresh the list allowing the system to recognize the connected devices. After completion restart the system and enable the second USB Root Hub and the system will be stable.

If you need, you can download the lastesr drivers from en.community.dell.com/.../2183.latitude-e6420-windows-7-driver-cab.aspx

Good luck ;)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 20th, 2014 07:00

New laptops very rarely come with up to date BIOS. I have had the same issue and my BIOS was on version 06 whereas current version was 21. Updating BIOS solved this issue.

Just in case you was stuck with such old BIOS version - you need to update to 08 first. Then you can update further.

May 7th, 2014 16:00

I've been goofing with a new (old) dock for my Latitude E6510 for 2 days trying to figure out why the USB devices wouldn't work.  This thread did the job!  I updated the BIOS first, then deleted the root hubs and rescanned, now everything works!  Thanks!

1 Message

October 15th, 2014 21:00

Thanks - this worked for me. 

April 8th, 2015 08:00

Mike (mbay25),

Thanks for your response here. I was having a devil of a time getting an imaged system to work right with Dell's "Simple E-port Dock". We use the docks all over our company and I'd never encountered this situation before. I recently started deploying an image with all the drivers pre-installed for a particular model (Latitude E7450) and one of them just would not recognize about half the objects on the docking station.

Going into Device Manager, right-clicking on the two remaining unknown devices and choosing update driver, and allowing Windows 7 to 'Search for drivers" added the two 'new' USB root hubs on the E-port dock. I may have messed this one up by deploying the image _while_ the machine was on the docking station - usually I do it standalone.

Thanks for the tip, it's too bad Dell hasn't responded here.

To anyone else with several unknown devices in Device Manager, a good place to start is by getting properties of the device, then go to the Details tab and look at Hardware ID. Search for the hardware ID on Dell - I prefer to use Google, and the search string is "Hardware ID XXXX DEV#### site:dell.com". This will restrict your searches to the Dell site, it's good to avoid all the different random driver download sites, many of them are very risky in regards to malware etc. Most of the hardware IDs have been searched for, but these root hubs I hadn't seen before and searching for their hardware ID wasn't very helpful.

For future reference, the hardware ID on these was USB \ VID_314 & PID_251 & REV_0005 . I injected a few spaces so that hopefully they will get indexed for searching. The device's Display Name after the correct driver was found is "USB 2.0 MTT Hub" and I imagine that some of the newer simple E-ports with USB 3.0 will add a USB 3 hub of some kind.

Hope this is helpful to others!

-Derek

1 Message

February 12th, 2016 08:00

THIS WORKED!! THANK YOU!

No Events found!