Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 11th, 2013 02:00

E6420 windows 8 unable to enroll fingerprint data for windows login

Hi

Can anybody help me in finding a way to make use of on-board biometric device provided for E6420 ?

I have installed windows 8 with fresh installation option and followed by installing respective drivers.

Windows details: windows 64 bit Pro

i have checked by selecting bio-metric devices in control and tried to enroll.
But, unfortunately the data is not getting saved.
As per Dell drivers download, i have installed the "dell Identity protection" but, no use. 

in my office we have a practice to use strong password, it will be very tough to use password every time after it get's locked. 

It will be very helpful to know the procedure and fix for this fingerprint login procedure on windows 8.

Kind regards,

Raghav

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 13:00

Ok Dell finally released the drivers for Windows 8.  Its a couple step process so here is how I got it working on all of our machines.

Uninstall Dell Data Protection if you have it installed.

Download the firmware and driver from here:

Driver: www.dell.com/.../latitude-e6420

Firmware:www.dell.com/.../latitude-e6420

Extract the firmware and install.  You will need to run it in elevated command line and make sure to select the x64 installer.

Reboot

Once installed you can install the Dell ControlVault Driver

Reboot and you should now see the biometric device.  The software will be Broadcom now instead of Dell and you can register your fingerprints.

7 Posts

January 18th, 2013 02:00

I request experts to have a look in to my problem.

I have updated my BIOS to A16 and checked again. But, NO-luck :(

i'm not able to use the bio-metric login options. i.e... the fingerprint reader is not working.

please check and reply back.

Kind regards,

Raghav

2 Posts

March 6th, 2013 06:00

I am trying to get Windows 8 working with the fingerprint on a 6420 too but I see you have Biometric devices showing up in device manager.  What drivers did you install to get that there?  

7 Posts

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package for (x64)

Microsoft

Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft

Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

7 Posts

I have installed "CV_WBF_Setup_Y2GT8_64bit_ZPE.exe"

[1] double click on .exe file with compatability option set as windows 7 and check mark on

run as administrator (better option).

[2] Click ok to get pop-up of Floder.

[3] Now you install Driver (this will clear the Yellow colour highlighted hardware from

device manager)

[4] ReBOOT and then install the Firmware (set to the same level of firmware provided along

with driver).

[5] ReBOOT -> login (with password :-|) and check the biometric devices in control pannel.

you try to check the biometric devices in control panel and check with enrolment.

you might got the below ERROR:

"broadcom ush host components BrcmFMA.exe side-by-side configuration is incorrect"

Correct details as below:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Broadcom Corporation\Broadcom

USH Host Components\BrcmFMA.exe". Dependent Assembly

Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="wi

n32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed

diagnosis.

solution is to install, Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64).

now the problem is that the finger print data is getting saved :(

I kept on asking dell support team.

the Big joke is that they call this as OUT OF SCOPE.

:(

7 Posts

June 10th, 2013 03:00

Hi P3Sal,

Sorry for delay in replying back to your suggested answer.

Steps suggested by you are working and now i'm able to use my finger swipe to unlock computer.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,

Raghav

1 Message

November 23rd, 2013 00:00

Hello,
thx for P3Sal, it WORKS!
really thx a lot (≧∇≦)/

but when i start, i got little bit confuse. so, in order other user can apply P3Sal solution let me give some screenshot d(-_^)
here we go :

1. Download all from P3Sal link. Open the CV_Setup_46KM0_A28_ZPE,exe the firmware

2. Click continue to extract the firmware installer to a folder.

3. After extract, u will got this. Just close the read me.

4. Open the extract location, klik folder "firmware"

5. Find file named "ushbip64.exe", just find it dont click. Go to next step.

6. Open Command Prompt / CMD Elevate Mode (Run As Administrator). In my case is Windows 8.

7. Go to your firmware folder path, and type "ushbip64.exe", press Enter to run the firmware installer.

8. You will got this, click Start to begin the instalation. In this picture, i already instal the firmware, so the text said "..from 23.7.9.0 to 23.7.9.0".

8. Then after the instalation finish, now instal the Driver as P3Sal said. Double click "CV_Drv_Setup_8THGX_A10_64bit_ZPE.exe" the driver. Follow the step :D

9. After the instalation finish, you will  see that Biometric Device icon in control panel. After I Click Manage Your Fingerprint Data in Biometric Device. And follow the step, i got this. After that, i try to logon using Fingerprint, and FOILA! It WORKS! 〜(^∇^〜)

Thx a lot to P3Sal for the solution <(_ _)>
ヽ(*⌒∇⌒*)ノ

No Events found!