Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 4th, 2016 08:00

E6430 used as remote machine—how to keep laptop healthy?

I just got a certified/refurbished Latitude E6430 which I will use as a secondary machine:

• The laptop will remain plugged in and on 24/7; normal sleep settings will be in effect.
  • I will use my normal desktop's keyboard/mouse/monitor to Remote Desktop into the laptop. I won't normally use the laptop's screen/keyboard/trackpad.
  • I'd like to minimize dust on the laptop and the amount of space it uses.

Given these requirements, can you give me your advice me on the following?

• Having the laptop plugged in 24/7 won't have any effect on the battery, right? (Dell's Battery FAQ says there's no problem, but…)
  • Can I run the laptop with the lid closed all the time?
  • If so, does it matter which position the laptop is in? (Running it closed and vertically, with the power adapter at the top, and with plenty of ventilation space, would be ideal – I can tuck it behind my monitor)

I want to make sure I don't do anything to damage my laptop when using it in a nontraditional way. Thanks for your help.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 4th, 2016 10:00

Blaqc,

I am sure others have different opinions about this topic. 

You should be able to  run a notebook 24/7 without any adverse effects as long as you give it proper airflow and keep it cool and dust free. I also would  turn it off if you are not using it for long periods of time to save on electricity. Also, you may want to get a Laptop Cooler to help keep it cool. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 4th, 2016 12:00

Point of difference:  leaving the system on all the time with the battery in will shorten its lifespan, quite appreciably.  You may be lucky to get a year or slightly more out of the battery if you run the system on AC most or all of the time.  If you are planning that and the battery is removeable, you're better off removing the battery and storing it at about 40-50% charge in a cool place. 

Constant exposure to the heat of the system and the lack of discharge-charge cycles are going to cause deterioration in the cells inside the battery.

5 Posts

August 4th, 2016 21:00

Lenovo had a power manager which restricts the battery charge level at 60% when the laptop is continuously plugged in. Wish to find an utility which does this and also periodically cuts power supply and makes the laptop work on battery power - to discharge it and recharge it again.  Is any such utility/tool available?

29 Posts

August 5th, 2016 16:00

So far, Dell says it's OK to run the laptop 24/7 but others say it'll quickly damage my battery.

What about leaving the lid open/closed? I've read that some laptops make use of the gaps between keys to dissipate heat, which would definitely not happen if I kept the lid closed. Does the E6430 have any issues with keeping the lid closed 24/7? And would it make a difference if I ran it flat or if I ran it vertically, resting on its front? (where the card reader is)

August 6th, 2016 14:00

Whenever I use my secondhand e6400 and I think it's going to get hot, I put it on a folding rectangular cake stand.  About $8 at Kroger.  Allows complete airflow underneath.

No Events found!