Highlighted
MaxNiebergall
Not applicable

E6430s Only boots after clearing all power (battery, AC, & removing CMOS battery)

Hello everyone,

I have been having a problem with my laptop recently. A few weeks ago my laptop turned off, and wouldn't turn back on. I did some googling, and found suggestions to remove the memory, SSD, and CMOS battery, wait, then put them  back in and try again. When I did that, it didn't work the first few power button presses, but then it turned on. It has been consistent like that. I have the battery out, and on AC only, when I remove AC and CMOS battery, then plug the AC back in, the laptop will boot after hitting the power button a few times.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: E6430s Only boots after clearing all power (battery, AC, & removing CMOS battery)

MaxNiebergall,

What do the LEDs show on the laptop when this occurs? Run the onboard ePSA. diags to see if they show any failures.

Start the computer and tap the F12 key. Choose  ePSA. Diags
This edition of Dell's Enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment has been significantly improved with a view to streamlining the entire diagnostic process. Enhancements include simultaneous testing on multiple devices, automatic execution that can be interrupted to allow interactive test selection and an intuitive graphical user interface. Diagnostic executional intensity can be maximized by selecting Thorough_Mode. There are enhancements affecting all diagnostic programs within ePSA and include:

Graphical User Interface.
Automatic Default Operation- runs test on all devices, allowing a user to interrupt and select any device.
Checks the Master Boot Record for readiness to boot into a full OS environment.
Notebook panel test (notebooks only)
Video memory test
Battery test (notebooks only)
Charger test (notebooks only)
Fan test
Event log scan
Multiprocessor cache test
Configuration - displaying cable connectivity and Bluetooth, WLAN, WWAN devices installation status.
System Health - displaying fan, battery, thermal, connectivity indicators

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
MaxNiebergall
Not applicable

RE: E6430s Only boots after clearing all power (battery, AC, & removing CMOS battery)

Thanks for responding! When I press the power button, the HDD light blinks twice, and then nothing. I have run the built in diagnostic program, and it has found no problems.

0 Kudos

MaxNiebergall,

Please call Dell Pro Support at 1-800-624-9896 for further troubleshooting on the system.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos