Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

1 Message

October 2nd, 2008 00:00

E6500 keyboard backlit issue

Just received a new E6500... nice machine.

One issue I'm having is with the keyboard backlit... It doesn't seem to work, or at least Im not seeing the keyboard lit up when I activate.  I been through all the steps, used the ambient settings with the monitor,,,  Still, no keyboard backlit.

I've checked my order, and it's listed... so what am I missing?

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

October 2nd, 2008 11:00

You are Missing the Backlit Keyboard.

I know, I was sent a Sea Sky Mike Ming(Well according to the Invoice it was sea sky)

I found out it was Red Swirl, when I opened ther box.

I guess DELL Made in Malaysia, means malasyians don't care if you get the right product

(What the heck, they are thousands of miles away, it's not like they are getting into trouble for all their mess-ups)

I was on vacation, and got back 2 days before 21 day invoice was up. By the time they were done jerking me around(They don't have anymore seasky would be my guess) I was stuck with the Red Swirl.

Get your BACKLIT keyboard, it did cost you $50

dakotajoe 

Dakotajoe

1 Message

November 27th, 2008 14:00

Hi,

I had the identical problem. After uninstalling and reinstalling the control point system manager, Dell asked me to try 'reseating' the keyboard and sent instructions on doing it (you have to unscrew a few parts and put it back together). I now have a working keyboard backlight. Hope it works for you.

Regards

5 Posts

December 11th, 2008 10:00

you may want to take a look at my posts here regarding backlit keyboards

4.4K Posts

May 9th, 2009 22:00

you may want to take a look at my posts here regarding backlit keyboards

I had the same issue.  I just got the E6500 a few days ago and the backlight never did work.  I read your post and decided to pull the keyboard and take a look.  I too had the loose wire.  I reconnected it, powered up the notebook and the backlight now works.

1 Message

September 21st, 2009 17:00

wHERE exactly is the "loose" wire?

I have a new blacklit keyboard that does not work. THe controls on the keyboard control what "should" adjust the backlight but it does not do anything.

Did I waste time and $$, seems noone can get their keyboard to work...

1 Message

December 3rd, 2009 12:00

NOTICE: Majority of E6500 (or similar model) keyboard issues that aren't fixed by replacing the keyboard are caused by the palm rest. If you have an issue with with your keyboard, kindly ask the Dell Tech for both the keyboard and palm rest for a "Complete Resolution." Those are key words. Hopefully they offer an onsite tech at that point since the palm rest is not considered a Customer Replacement Unit. This will help the Dell tech out as well. They can resolve your issue on a single dispatch rather than sending parts on multiple dispatches. That would count against their stats that Dell does monitor on a regular basis.

Perhaps this issue is due to a change in the keyboard design. The keyboard no longer has a ribbon cable as some have already noticed. The touch pad is the middle man between the keyboard and motherboard. The keyboard slides into a connector that resides on the board attached under the touch pad. The board then has two ribbon cables connecting to the motherboard. I have had 2 out of 5 E6500 with keyboard issues cause by a faulty palm rest.

No Events found!