Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2010 03:00

E6510 - Cannot update BIOS

I need to update my new Latitude E6510 to BIOS patch A01.1. When I run the updater it starts, reboots the laptop but nothing happens. The BIOS is still on A01.  I cannot run the A02 BIOS. Why doesn't this work? Is there a way to make the patch work. 

NOTE: I am sure this is the correct file. Used my service tag to choose downloads.

44 Posts

June 5th, 2010 07:00

BIOS A03 fixes this problem. Can now update BIOS from Windows 7 64 Bit.

April 30th, 2014 20:00

I had the problem of updating E6510 BIOS from A04 to A16. 1 - I removed any memory above 2GB. (Mentioned earlier.) 2 - Installed BIOS A09. (Apparently you cannot update so drastically. Also, A09 is no longer listed in the previous version on the support website.) 3 - Installed BIOS A16. 4 - Installed the extra memory. Works like a champ. Hopefully this will help anyone buying some older laptops that have not been kept up to date. BIOS A09 link: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=599J2

3 Posts

April 19th, 2015 18:00

Had same problem: would not update to the A16 from A05.  But this answer supplied the missing piece - A09.  I was able to update to A09 without removing any RAM and then on to A16.  Thank you Brianzpatton.

Shouldased

May 25th, 2010 11:00

I am having the exact same problem. What's up with that?

4 Posts

May 25th, 2010 12:00

I am also having this issue and have emailed technical support to make them aware. According to other Dell forums, this may be an issue with Windows 7 64-bit as those affected seem to all be using this operating system. 

There is a work-around which is to install from a bootable pendrive.

Hope this helps,

Doug

1 Message

May 25th, 2010 12:00

I believe you need to run the P01 BIOS update first and then the A02.

3 Posts

May 26th, 2010 00:00

I have also try patching with E6510P01 using a bootable pendrive and during the process an error occurs telling "Unable to prepare BIOS patch payload"

9 Posts

May 26th, 2010 12:00

I also have this problem. Will try the USB pen tommorrow.
One question. I posted an artical a few days ago, no one gave a reaction:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19333623.aspx

Hi,

I received 13 E6510 laptops today and the first thing I noticed is that they all stutter, I noticed it with the mouse, when your moving it over the screen.
It not just the mouse, but everything stutters. Tried opening the start menu, it builds in block on the screen.
Since I have to build a image with company policies, I formated one and start from scratc just to find out that is causing the problem.

For my research I downloaded the latest drivers on the Dell website, and starting installing them one by one.
I found out the problem is being caused by the Control Point Security Manager. I uninstalled the driver/application and the problem was gone.

Just to make sure it is that driver, I took another laptop out of the box, started it, noticed it also stuttered, and uninstalled the CPS manager.
The problem was also gone.

Anyone having the same problem?

6 Posts

June 10th, 2010 01:00

Hi,

@dristie:
"I received 13 E6510 laptops today and the first thing I noticed is that they all stutter, I noticed it with the mouse, when your moving it over the screen.
It not just the mouse, but everything stutters. Tried opening the start menu, it builds in block on the screen.
Since I have to build a image with company policies, I formated one and start from scratc just to find out that is causing the problem.
etc..."

I have same problem and the bios A03 and the latest controlpoint drivers don't resolve the problem.

Could you help us?

It's a big problem because the system is unusable for 3-4 minutes.

"There´s also a patch for the bios. When applying the patch, I don´t see anything happening, just applying patch, system being restarted and starts Windows.
Normally you get a white screen like, bios is being updated or something. If I do a msinfo32, I see the bios version is still the A01, 5-3-2010."

At first you should flash the bios with version P02 after that A03. It worked for me.

Zoltan

9 Posts

June 10th, 2010 01:00

The bios works for me now. Found a thread that it can be done with a bootable usb pen.
Bios Version A02 couldn't be run under Windows before and was also removed from the website.

I am glad I'm not the only one with this problem. (Sorry, I really though I was the only) .

I reported this to Dell and they couldn't reproduced the problem. 2 days ago they picked up one of the laptops with the problem and are going to investigate it.
If I know more, I will posted the outcome.

6 Posts

June 11th, 2010 06:00

Hi,

Thank you.

I think so there are much more people with this problem but they don't write here.

Zoltan

January 8th, 2013 08:00

This is the method I used to update BIOS on my E6510

1. Install
UNetbootin from synaptic
2. Run it and create a FreeDOS USB key.
3. Copy
the exe BIOS update file to the USB key from inside ubuntu.
4. Reboot into BIOS setup and change the boot order to boot from USB
5. Boot into a live
freedos session.
* The USB key will offer to install freedos on your hard
disk. DONT - that is ubuntucide!
* Don't use himem or or that other memory
thingywhatsit - just straight freedos
6. C:
7. dir
8. run the
update

Good Luck

1 Message

March 8th, 2016 11:00

This is what fixed my issue :) Thanks for this sweet forum!!!!!

I was on A06

Had to upgrade to A09

Finally upgraded to A16

1 Message

June 3rd, 2016 09:00

Thanks Shouldased!  Updating from A05 to A09 worked for me, I could then install Windows 10 over UEFI PXE.  I also didn't have to remove any RAM.  

December 29th, 2016 16:00

Thank you brianzpatton! the key for me was to update from A06 to A09 first, then I was able to move on to A16.

No Events found!