Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2010 08:00

E6510 Sudden reboot with latest BIOS

I am having trouble with a new batch of E6510's we have purchased for our Company.

All 4 of these laptops have been Wiped and rebuilt. Each time we used The Re-Imaging installation guide's order for driver installation.

One laptop Made it through the rebuild and did not get its BIOS updated, its still running A04, and has no sudden reboot problems.

Three other laptops came from the Factory updated to A05 and will suddenly reboot with no warning. Two of them do this like once or twice a week, one does this at least twice a day.

In each case, the only indication that something has happened (other than Windows complaining about improper shutdown) is a power event in the BIOS log which says "ASF2 Force Off".

Looking around I see one other person describing a similar problem, but he has gotten no replies
(http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19345688/19747358.aspx)

I have one final A05 laptop that has yet to be formatted, so I will try running it and see if it Does the same reboot. But can anyone shed any light on what this problem might be?

July 9th, 2012 15:00

replaced the Mobo last week friday and it crashed again on today.  Upgraded the bios on the replaced mobo.. lets see what happens.

2 Posts

August 4th, 2012 12:00

I am having the same problem with my Latitude e5420, and I am too still looking for a solution. Reading this thread doesn't give me a lot of hope for a quick resolution though. :-(

I have had sudden shut downs in windows, linux, and even while in the BIOS menu, so chances are next to impossible that it's OS- or driver related.

I also ran different diagnostics and none show a problem.

Furthermore, I also seriously doubt that the problem is temperature-related, as I've had the problem seconds after I cold-booted the machine. Deliberate burn-in tests also didn't trigger the problem.

The problem has also manifested itself when I removed the hard drive for analysis - this is when the problem occurred while in BIOS menu.

Whenever the problem appears it also seems to last for a while, and then then next day, or maybe the day after, it doesn't occur for a week or so. Then it will reappear, and my laptop will shut down regularly for a day or two again. Repeat.

This machine is about 160 days in my possession. I have had better experiences with DELL machines that this.

14 Posts

August 4th, 2012 13:00

For me it seems like it was the SSD (bad Firmware, Sandforce-driven) - with newer firmware or other SSD it´s like almost gone.

1 Message

August 7th, 2012 22:00

I was getting blackouts as well but when docked.  My laptop (M4600) runs on Windows 7, 64 bit.  Anyone has any ideas how to resolve this issue?

Thanks.

2 Posts

August 16th, 2012 02:00

DELL support answered my inquiry, suggesting to update the BIOS. I had looked for an update, but somehow I missed it on the website. Anyway, since I upgraded the BIOS firmware from v5 to v7 a good week ago, the issue hasn't manifested itself.

If you don't hear from me again in this topic, the issue has been resolved for me. :-) HTH

(laptop model E5420)

August 18th, 2012 20:00

I tried the bios update also, but that doesn't work.  It does seem to reduce the force offs but doesn't solve it..  Dell has replace my motherboard but that didn't fix it either. Seems it is an instability issue that Dell support doesn't know how to resolve this.

I expect them to replace the motherboard until they resolve it.

4 Posts

August 20th, 2012 12:00

We have an E6420 that started having the ASF2 force shutoff issue.

It started happening about once every 30 minutes.

I tried everything I could think of before contacting Dell. (swap RAM, swap Drive, different battery, re-image, update BIOS, update drivers, Check BIOS settings).

Dell decided that it was probably the motherboard and sent one out to me. After replacing the motherboard, it was still doing the ASF2 force shutoff.

After thinking about it a while and about what I had seen online when I was trying to figure this out, I decided to remove the wireless card to see if that would take care of it.

The system has been running for over 2 hours now without shutting itself off.

I am going to watch it the rest of the day, and will update this thread either way.

4 Posts

August 20th, 2012 14:00

Nope, that wasn't it. It finally did another ASF2 force shutdown.

4 Posts

August 21st, 2012 09:00

Found out what was causing it. It was the RAM.

The RAM passed the Dell RAM diags as well as HCI memtest.

Put this RAM in another E6420 with the same harware configuration and it started doing the same exact thing as the laptop I was having trouble with.

So I would have to say that this is definitely a RAM problem.

Doesn't matter that it passes the diags, it was still causing the issue.

As soon as I put known good RAM in the laptop, it stopped having problems.

September 5th, 2012 15:00

I got a suggestion from Dell.

The Intel AMT conflicts with Broadcoms ASF.. and this will log an ASF2 error.

1) Boot the system, press Ctrl-P to enter the intel AMT Bios

2) Choose Intel ME Management Features, then the ME Management Features Seeting, set Intel AMT to OFF

3) reboot.

My problem is on my machine it says "Preparing MEBx menu", and then nothing.  I don't get the menu.

1 Message

October 30th, 2012 22:00

I'm having the same problem on a 6530, and the new one they sent me to replace it.  In my case it happens every time the 'slice' battery drains to zero, even though the other batteries are still full.

2 Posts

March 18th, 2013 09:00

Wireless! Me too: I've been running docked on wired ethernet for a couple months with occaisional wireless undocked meetings, but just traveled and needed remote desktop ("WebEx"/"LiveMeeting" etc.) and BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Instant surprise sudden abrupt shutdown, just immediate blackout and hard-drive head retraction, no BSOD no warning. It happened four times in an hour, running on charger, on WiFi. For some reason I decided to plug into wall CAT5 RJ45 wired eithernet, and never again for five more days. Then it happed two more times back at hotel, on WiFi -- and again, quit happening when I turned off wireless slide-switch. M4600, W7; Device Manager shows "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN".  Perhaps sudden power demand or current surge causes sudden "crowbar" power supply collapse?

March 10th, 2014 11:00

I am having the same issues on my Dell e7440(Ultra light) I have tested each stick alone cause I have 2 sticks of 8 gb. and it still does it. it came with one stick of 8gb. I add another one for more memory cause of the amount of memory I use. Still ramdonly shuts down. As well I have disconnected the wireless to see if that works. I have already updated to the latest BIOS version.

4 Posts

March 10th, 2014 12:00

I recently had another laptop, an E6420, that started powering off by itself like somebody was pulling the battery.

The first time I ran the full diags, everything passed. It was only doing it every once in a while so I just left it alone for a couple months.

Then about a week ago, I replaced that laptop with another for the person who was using it. I then ran the full diags again and an error came up for the SSD.

I had Dell send me a new SSD, and so far the laptop is working like it should.

March 10th, 2014 12:00

I have swaped the hard drive with another E7440 I have and everything seems to be working so far. So it may be a bad SSD
No Events found!