Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2015 09:00

E6520 Windows 10?

Howdy,

I have an E6520 laptop running Windows 7 Pro.  I'm having trouble getting it to install Windows 10 and am just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting this to work.  I get as far as 84% and then the screen goes black.  An hour or two later it will reboot and restore me back to Windows 7.

I don't know if it's a hardware thing or a driver thing or what.  Has anyone gotten Windows 10 to install on an E6520 via an Upgrade from Win7?  If not I may look into trying a fresh install.

Thanks.

20 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 03:00

Hey kelemvor33,

Firstly, you will also need to remove the Dell Data Protection (DDP) software which is incompatible with Windows 10.

I have upgrade a E6520 to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (from Windows 7 Pro 64 bit), although suffered an odd problem with mouse movement via the touch pad - the pointer kept stalling every few minutes for just a couple of seconds. Whilst this was not the of the world, it was irritating nevertheless. What I forgot to do is check out the status of the Device Manager to see if all devices were recognised and working as expected.

However, once Windows 10 was installed and activated, I then ran a clean install from media created with the Microsoft software that allows you to create a ISO or bootable USB. Again all went well (albeit the first ISO created was somehow corrupt and so the install failed after I have re-partition the drive to take advantage of UEFI boot and GPT disks (this means loosing the Dell Diagnostic partition). Luckily, I had a second computer to re-create a bootable USB and the second attempt worked flawlessly.

However, Out of the Box, 5 devices are not recognised:

1. Broadcom USH
    HardwareIDs
    USB\VID_0A5C&PID_5801&REV_0101&MI_03
    USB\VID_0A5C&PID_5801&MI_03
  2. Broadcom USH w/swipe sensor
    HardwareIDs
    USB\VID_0A5C&PID_5801&REV_0101&MI_00
    USB\VID_0A5C&PID_5801&MI_00
  3. Mass Storage
    HardwareIDs
    PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_8331&SUBSYS_04941028&REV_05
    PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_8331&SUBSYS_04941028
    PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_8331&CC_018000
    PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_8331&CC_0180
  4. PCI Serial Port
    HardwareIDs
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3D&SUBSYS_04941028&REV_04
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3D&SUBSYS_04941028
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3D&CC_070002
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3D&CC_070
  5. Unknown Device
    HardwareIDs
    ACPI\VEN_SMO&DEV_8800
    ACPI\SMO8800
    *SMO8800

Of the hardware ID, I think its usually the first one in the list that will point toward a driver, but thought I would list them all just in case. I haven't had time to research these as yet, but if I get anywhere, I will post back.

Remember, I would upgrade first, in order that you can get activated, then do a fresh install (you will not need to specify a product key during the install (you can just skip) and the activation will be automatic). This means that you will need to install twice, but I don't think there is a simple activation method on a fresh install without the machine being activated already for Widows 10 previously, and the only way this can happen (at no cost) is to go through the upgrade process. A PITA I know, but there you are!

20 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 10:00

Further info, I download the Windows 8 Driver Cab File (http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=JN1VC&fileId=3366980793&osCode=W864&productCode=latitude-e6520&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SM) and expanded in (user 7zip) in the new Windows 10 install, then pointed the driver update to this folder. Each device install successfully.

From above, the devices now show up as:

1. Broadcom USH
    Control Vault w/ Fingerprint Swipe Sensor
  2. Broadcom USH w/swipe sensor
    Dell ControlVault w/ Fingerprint Swipe Sensor
  3. Mass Storage
    O2Micro Integrated MS/MSPRO controller
  4. PCI Serial Port
    Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL
  5. Unknown Device
    ST Micro Accelerometer

Hope this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

August 6th, 2015 07:00

For anyone who is trying to update via Windows Update and hasn't been able to fix the problem and is also not getting any sort of error message, go download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and use that to upgrade instead.
www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

When I used Windows Update it would not work but it never gave me any sort of error message or anything so I had no idea what the problem was.  Once I used the Media Tool, it still failed but after it booted me back to Windows 7 it presented me with an error that led me to a solution.

My error is here:
www.dropbox.com/.../2015-08-05%2020.33.11.jpg

0x8007002C - 0x4000D
The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation

My fix was to free up more space on my HDD and I also uninstalled Avast during the upgrade.  I have a 400+ gig drive that had 50 gigs free.  I freed up another 50.  I don't know if that would have solved it by itself but I saw mention from others with this error to uninstall their AV program so I did that too.  Once those were done the upgrade worked just fine.

Turns out it had nothing to do with Dell or Drivers or anything.

20 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 11:00

Spoke a bit too soon. Buetooth seem s to have an issue out of the box. This is not unsurprising as we had major issues getting this working on Windows 7 machines with build images.

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 12:00

I don't care about Bluetooth at all.  I can possibly test this later tonight.  So you're saying I should look for the Dell software and see if I can remove that and then just try the upgrade again and see what happens?

Hopefully that will help.

20 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 12:00

Certainly, the Dell Data Protection software (made by Embassy that controls things like pre boot finger print scanner, and replaces the normal Ctrl+ALt+Del screen etc). is incompatible with Windows 10. I would also run a system reset within this application before removing it, as it plays with a number of low level systems.

Be aware, that we have had MAJOR issues trying to remove this software in the past, resulting in multi hour remote session with Embassy just to get the thing removed. I have at least one machine like that now, so I have no idea how I'm going to upgrade that to Windows 10.

You can't just do a fresh install, Windows 10 will not activate.

20 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 17:00

BTW, Bluetooth is easily fixed by using the Windows 8 Dell 380 Bluetooth drivers. Install these then run an update on the Generic Bluetooth adapter and it should convert it to the Dell 375 Bluetooth adapter.

So, all is good.

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 19:00

Is the Dell software something that would show up in the Uninstall a Program listing?  This laptop had Win7 Pro installed on it from scratch so it doesn't have anything on it that would have come from Dell originally and I don't see if in there at all.

20 Posts

August 4th, 2015 02:00

If you installed from your own media and did NOT manually install the Dell Data Protection software, they it would not appear on the machine. If you followed the re-imaging guide and re-installed the Dell Data Protection software, then it would need to be removed prior to upgrade to Windows 10.

We decided that we would install this software in order to get full HDD encryption (for the secured encrypted HDD we specified) and to gain some of the pre-boot security functionality, however, the issue that we saw (especially in relation to its removal in some instances) were a complete nightmare and TBH, I wish we hadn't install this app.

Other than this, I saw nothing that was incompatible with Windows 10 and the upgrade we reasonably smoothly, but running the fresh install is even better. As mentioned, you can't simply run a fresh install of Windows 10 as it will not activate, you will need to upgrade first, ensure it is activated, the wipe and re-install. Your issue will be if this cannot happen with your current Windows 7 install, my feeling is you will need to wipe, re-install Windows 7, then upgrade to 10, and then possible wipe again and install Windows 10 (Although the upgrade on a relatively clean machine should be OK).

One last thing, I obviously can't account for any other software on your machine that maybe causing an issue.

20 Posts

August 4th, 2015 02:00

If you installed from your own media and did NOT manually install the Dell Data Protection software, they it would not appear on the machine. If you followed the re-imaging guide and re-installed the Dell Data Protection software, then it would need to be removed prior to upgrade to Windows 10.

We decided that we would install this software in order to get full HDD encryption (for the secured encrypted HDD we specified) and to gain some of the pre-boot security functionality, however, the issue that we saw (especially in relation to its removal in some instances) were a complete nightmare and TBH, I wish we hadn't install this app.

Other than this, I saw nothing that was incompatible with Windows 10 and the upgrade we reasonably smoothly, but running the fresh install is even better. As mentioned, you can't simply run a fresh install of Windows 10 as it will not activate, you will need to upgrade first, ensure it is activated, the wipe and re-install. Your issue will be if this cannot happen with your current Windows 7 install, my feeling is you will need to wipe, re-install Windows 7, then upgrade to 10, and then possible wipe again and install Windows 10 (Although the upgrade on a relatively clean machine should be OK).

One last thing, I obviously can't account for any other software on your machine that maybe causing an issue.

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

August 6th, 2015 09:00

I'll check that when I get home tonight.  I didn't have much time to play with it last night when I finally got it to work. :)

20 Posts

August 6th, 2015 09:00

Thanks kelemvor33,

Now that you have upgraded successfully, how does device manager look? Are there devicse that are left as unrecognised or have they all been added correctly? Just wondering that all, as I forgot to look at the list prior to wiping and re-installing afresh.

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

August 6th, 2015 18:00

My device manager is clean.  No unknown devices or warning symbols at all.

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

August 7th, 2015 21:00

Well, even though Device Manager is clear, I have no sound.  Just noticed that tonight.   hmmm.

UPDATE: I removed the sound device from device manager (and the driver) and let it redetect it and I have sound now.

13 Posts

August 12th, 2015 03:00

Did you find a problem with your touch pad pointer stalling? I am also having the problem on a E6520 following a Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 pro 64bit. No issues in the device manager. The only issue I had with the upgrade was it broke Office 2010 Pro registration. I had to remove and reinstall to fix it. Thanks.

No Events found!