Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2016 16:00

E6520 audio control panel

I have a E6520 laptop and the audio works ok but I have no audio control panel. meaning one that has an equalizer and sound enhancer/effects.

I have searched the net over and over and tried many drivers but nothing. I can only control the volume and balance with the windows small panel, the one with the speaker icon in tray.

Is there suppose to be a control audio panel for this laptop.

I have owned this for 3 years and need a control/equalizer panel for certain projects in music cd burning.

Please let me know what should be installed in this puter. In manager.devices all I have is High Def audio device. Cant seem to see what type of audio card is in here. I used speccy and get the same High Def audio device.

Noticed some drivers I try ti install will not work.

thanks

14 Posts

November 14th, 2016 17:00

Im using windows 7 sorry for not posting that

14 Posts

Do you know of a generic equalizer control panel that will work?

14 Posts

Jim

Do you know what driver might work or a generic equalizer control panel. I have spent most of the day looking with no good results.

thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Hello. The Latitude E6520 model has IDT brand audio. I'll put a link in to the audio driver if you say which operating system is on the laptop.

It varies from model to model and I don't know for every specific model, but I don't think the E6520 will have a control panel of the type you are looking for, even after you install the correct IDT driver.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 14th, 2016 18:00

Go to the Latitude E6520 html page, scroll down to the Audio category, and find the IDT 1.13.1 driver.Click on "more details" to go to the driver's page. There are 2 download packages. Download the one named "File Format: Hard Drive", not the update package.

Install the driver and then test it and see what you get. Look in Start>Control Panel>View by icons, for IDT Audio Control Panel. It probably will not have anything useful in it.

Next, go back to the html page and download the IDT 1.16.0 driver. Install it, then check it out. If it turns out that you like the 1.13.1 better, you can use "roll back driver" in Device Manager to revert to it. That's why I suggested installing it first -- it won't be as easy a process if the drivers are installed in the reverse order.

Do you know what driver might work or a generic equalizer control panel.

My laptop is a Latitude 5420, Windows 7, with IDT audio also. Mine does not have an IDT eq. The Windows sound properties control has more options than just volume and balance, though. If you select the properties for speakers, you should see bass boost and loudness equalization, both of which are limited eq's. In addition, almost all media players, including Windows Media Player, have a decent graphic eq section.

I don't know of a stand-alone eq, in the sense of one that works outside of an audio program. Most of the time I use Cakewalk Sonar for audio work, and it has extensive eq and other sound shaping tools within the program. What are your audio needs?

14 Posts

November 14th, 2016 19:00

When I try to install I get sigma tel driver must be removed.

I have tried to find the sigma driver but i dont see it in my computer. I also checked registry for a key and nothing. So loading the driver will not go.

I appreciate your help.

14 Posts

November 14th, 2016 19:00

Well I run a internet Oldies radio station here in Boston. I'm changing computers and I was using a turtle beach sound card on old computer with a great control panel in win xp.

Now win 7 does not support the turtle beach sound card. So I was wondering if there was a generic equalizer software that I can control easily while doing the show as I did with the turtle beach.

So in doing all that it led me to see what I had in my laptop and I see nothing.

I use winamp pro with shoutcast plugins and rcast as my host.

My web page is www.wevrradio.freeoda.com.

I bought a gaming computer yesterday from someone local that said it stopped and all it needed was a ram stick reseated pentium quad core 4 with 3.16mhz 16 gig of ram and 2 video cards for 4 monitors plus I got a 26 inch vizio monitor all for a $100.00.

It has a realtek on board sound card with the usual realtek control panel.

I'm going to transfer my music mostly 50s 60s 70s 80s music about 20,000 songs and use the newer computer.

I guess I will keep looking for some generic equalizer software for the Pentium new computer.

Computer I use now has win xp and works good for the radio show but I have to have about 6 programs open at one time with dual monitors and sometimes it starts to lag a bit.

The newer one will much better.

Bottom line is I will have to get a good audio card with a good control panel gui.

again thanks for your help sorry for the long rant

Bob in Boston

14 Posts

November 14th, 2016 20:00

I forgot to add my laptop is a 32 bit windows 7 ultimate so I do not have that key in the registry

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 14th, 2016 20:00

When I try to install I get sigma tel driver must be removed.

Look for this key in the Registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SigmaTel

If you find it, delete it. I gotta log off for tonight.

14 Posts

November 15th, 2016 05:00

sorry was able to get to page thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

I was using a turtle beach sound card on old computer

I will have to get a good audio card with a good control panel gui.

Yeah, an actual sound card would have all kinds of features not found on an audio chip on the motherboard.  To add a sound card to the laptop, it would pretty much have to be a usb peripheral device. If the used computer you just got is a desktop model with pci slots, you have the option of adding a real sound card.

So I was wondering if there was a generic equalizer software that I can control easily while doing the show as I did with the turtle beach.

When I googled stand alone equalizer program the first result was this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ , which looks useful, but probably too clunky if you have to make quick changes in real time.

I use winamp pro with shoutcast plugins and rcast as my host.

Is the problem that you can't get to the Winamp eq fast enough during the show? If I were doing something where I had to constantly adjust the eq in real time, my thought would be to have an entirely separate hardware device to play the music, whether a little player, a tablet, another computer, etc, and run the signal into a little hardware mixer where I could keep a hand on the eq controls and continually ride them like in a studio, and then have the signal continue from the mixer to the streaming computer. But on the other hand I would probably already have all of the music equalized, normalized and compressed, in advance, so as to avoid having to do any of that in real time.

About the error when installing the IDT driver. The laptop would have left the factory with one of the IDT drivers pre-installed, but now it is missing. Currently you are using the Windows native driver (High Definition Audio Device). If you still want to install an IDT driver you need to clean up the registry.  I would use its "find" tool to look for SigmaTel and Sigmatel, and delete anything found. I don't know if a registry cleaner would help or not. If all of that fails, then the only way might be to re-install Windows, or better yet to perform a system restoration (use the Factory Image to return the laptop to the original factory configuration). But I get why doing that would not be practical.

My web page is www.wevrradio.freeoda.com.

I tried to listen to your show. When I click on the yellow button, a page opens that says Radio station name not set, and Shoutcast server invalid resource.

14 Posts

sourceforge.net/.../ seems to say no page found

14 Posts

Jim

Well I will just leave the laptop alone for now and focus on the newer computer. Try to get a good sound card and go from there.

I should be on tonight I have been sick this past week with a cold and coughing crazy so i have not been on.

I do not have the factory image and the laptop is loaded with many programs and software. As I said I can live with the laptop and will focus with the newer computer and get a sound card with a good control panel.

I do have to have access to the equalize control panel during the show as most music is never recorded with the same loudness and normalized audio. Just need miner tweaking during show as the show is live with a 15 second delay.

I want to thank you for all the help and info of sites to dn load .

Hope you get to listen tonight.

thanks Bob

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 16th, 2016 08:00

When I googled stand alone equalizer program the first result was this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ , which looks useful, but probably too clunky if you have to make quick changes in real time.

Well I got a chance to install the program, Equalizer APO. The reason I said "clunky" is that it doesn't have a user interface -- the changes are made to the values using Notepad or other text editor. However, I found that that another person has written a GUI app for it, named Peace, which negates my "clunky" evaluation. Equalizer APO plus Peace is an easy-to-use eq. You can see in the demonstration video clip how deep it is.

Here is a screen shot of Peace on my laptop, with Windows Media Player on top.

I haven't found a way to make Peace stay on top at all times, but it just takes a click on the blue peace symbol button (inside the red circle with arrow) to either put it on top, or minimize it.

The installation went like this. First installed Equalizer APO, which just puts files into a folder in the Programs folder. Then download Peace.exe, which does not do anything by itself. You have to move peace.exe from the Downloads folder and place it in the Equalizer APO configuration folder, then run the exe. When run, it changes the configuration folder quite a bit, and you get the GUI.

I did run into a problem. At that point, there was no audio at all, but I found a solution in the program's discussion board. You would probably run into the same problem because our laptop's are very similar with audio. We both use the same versions of IDT driver (or yours would if it would install). So if you decide to try the program, here is what I had to do, after starting the Peace GUI.

Click on the Settings button. Click on "Equalizer APO's Configurator" button to open configurations.

Click on "Speakers/Headphones" to select it -- it should be highlighted with a blue.rectangle. Then put a check in the "Troubleshooting options" box. At that point, the options will appear. Uncheck both "Use original APO" boxes. Close the configurator. After that, the audio worked again.

Note: that configurator runs when you first install Equalizer APO (before adding peace.exe). I guess you could make the changes then, but I would wait until finding out if there is a problem before changing anything.

Note note: to hear the effect of the equalizer, the box named "Disable All Enhancements" in the Windows Sound properties must be un-checked. If it is checked, you hear the audio but it doesn't go through the equalizer.

No Events found!