Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2013 22:00

E6540 Inadequate Thermal System! ATTN: Dell

Okay, so I have decided to revise this thread to accommodate the recent interest by customers who own this notebook.

Nutshell Explanation: The E6540 and its "one-fan" design is totally inadequate for properly cooling the i7-4800MQ and the AMD HD 8790M. The advertised specifications (2.7Ghz) are unobtainable during realworld and benchmark testing scenarios. The cooling system just can not handle the thermal footprint of the CPU/GPU. 

Long Explanation: I have spent a lot of time and effort in researching this problem. Here are a few things I have discovered. First, Dell has a history with producing systems that can't handle the thermal requirements of the chips installed inside of them. One would think that Dell would learn from their mistakes... Second, the Latitude E series is probably an "end of life" model. Dell jumped the gun on the E6540 and failed to do the engineering. They assumed that the E6530 design could accommodate a CPU/GPU combination with a higher TDP than it's predecessor (E6530). Likewise, the E6540 was one of the first enterprise-grade Haswell notebooks. So I'm sure the pressure was really on at Dell to push this out of the door. These machines are inherently flawed. DOA! We have been scammed. For those of you who have upgraded to the 2.8Ghz model. You really got scammed! You will never be able to use that horsepower.

I have been a 15+ year Apple customer. This has been my first PC in a long time. Frankly, I'm very disappointed.

Now. Let me go ahead and leave a few links here that reference other forums/sources that discuss this issue:

[Notebook Review: Forum] http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/729032-e6540-owners-thread-29.html

[NotebookCheck.net Reviews] http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Latitude-E6540-i7-4800MQ-HD-8790M-Notebook.97595.0.html

As a customer, I have been instructed to 1) Update the BIOS 2) Reinstall Windows 3) Send in my machine for repair

10 Posts

January 20th, 2014 14:00

Great, thank you for keep us updated! I hope they'll also refer to the Notebook Review forum since there are more users with issues there. 

10 Posts

January 20th, 2014 14:00

Also, it's interesting that he said they weren't aware of any issues when the guy from their Twitter team told several of us that the engineers were aware of the issue and were working on a solution.. 

13 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 22:00

Updates: Several of us have initiated service calls with Dell! 

Knock Knock Dell... Seriously, you guys should jump in and comment here. I find it funny that Dell representatives periodically answer questions on these boards but as soon as something major goes down, they go into hiding.

Anyways, I am getting my motherboard and heatsink assembly replaced. My representative confirmed to me that if this doesn't fix things, that we will then consider more extreme options like swapping for a different model. So do give them a call! 

January 25th, 2014 15:00

Has anyone had any updates from Dell this week? after having my laptop picked up last monday morning I have not had any updates from them. I will be calling them first thing on Monday though.

13 Posts

January 25th, 2014 15:00

Bump

10 Posts

January 25th, 2014 16:00

Put a call in using my ProSupport warranty after @DellCares taold me to give them another 24hrs after blowing me off for 3 days. I called to inquire about the status of the case number they gave me and guess what? They opened the case and closed it already. They didn't put any details or comments, I'm lucky it was even a real number! 

My case has been reassigned twice since calling. I'm hoping this last gentleman will be the last person I have to explain everything to.

BTW, no matter how many times you're assured they have the heatsink assembly in stock and that it'll be shipped NBD, you'll soon find out that in reality it's backordered until the end of Feb..

13 Posts

January 25th, 2014 17:00

I'm not convinced that Dell has ever had an appreciable stock of heatsinks...ever.

I tried to get a heatsink replacement back in September and it was backordered then too! They ended up offering me a system replacement. 

Dell! Seriously, I know you have read this post. Can you please do your customers a favor and post here....

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 25th, 2014 18:00

Working with Dell Support is going to be your only way to resolution.  Yes, there are periodically posts by Dell employees, BUT they are NOT required to follow up, create cases, or otherwise resolve issues in the forums on which they post ... consider them informational posts only, to fulfill their daily quota of public social interaction.  They are also NOT qualified to respond to advanced issues - you wouldn't want them to respond.  This is primarily a user-to-user forum and is NOT an official avenue of support with Dell.  For a resolution, continue working with Support on your cases.

8 Posts

January 25th, 2014 23:00

Hi Theflash1932!

Are you from DELL?

10 Posts

January 26th, 2014 07:00

I doubt it.. He/She's right though. If you look at the other responses the Dell people have given, they wouldn't be much help. This is just a way to see if others were having the same issue since it's highly doubtful that we'll get an actual fix.. 

10 Posts

January 28th, 2014 10:00

You really need to be logging your temps. If you just tell them you hear the fans are kicking on, they'll think they can correct the problem with a BIOS update that has a less aggressive fan profile which would be the exact opposite of what is needed. 

I bet their definition of "passed" is that the machine didn't experience a thermal shut down. Did they give any details? Did they see the processor throttle? If there was no throttling then it wasn't really a stress test imo because throttling this machine is extremely easy. 

My case got reassigned last week and I still haven't heard anything from my new case manager. I emailed him Friday and Monday as well as left voice mail on Monday. There's only a few hours left in the shift today so I guess I won't be hearing from him today either.

January 28th, 2014 10:00

Update 28/01/2014

My laptop was returned today, and according to dell technical support every component has been stress tested and they have all passed.

However, with the laptop plugged in, and just a terminal ping session hitting the bbc website and my email open in a web browser the fan kicks in as before.

I have contacted Dell and explained that I have been using two other Dell laptops - a E6330 and a E6530 for at least 8hrs a day, they have application servers running on them, development tools, outlook, debug utils etc and the fan never kicks in or makes a noise - these laptops run fine.  However on the new E6540 model that I purchased (due to a good experience with the above models) the fan kicks in intermittently with just an email client open - this can not be right.

I have been told that I will receive a call from the escalations team tomorrow to discuss the matter further.

13 Posts

January 28th, 2014 11:00

And those options are?

:emotion-15:

I have provided Dell with CPU usage figures, FYI across all processors CPU usagewas at 18% max and the fan kicked in under a very mibor lpad (see previous post for details) I have also explained how I have another Dell laptop sat next to it under a considerably heavier load and the fan never kicks in like it does on the E6540.

A total of 5 dell engineers agree that this behaviour is not correct.

I am considering my options.

I have been offered a replacement E6540 which I refused, and I am now waiting for a call from the escalation team tomorrow.

No Events found!