Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2013 22:00

E6540 Inadequate Thermal System! ATTN: Dell

Okay, so I have decided to revise this thread to accommodate the recent interest by customers who own this notebook.

Nutshell Explanation: The E6540 and its "one-fan" design is totally inadequate for properly cooling the i7-4800MQ and the AMD HD 8790M. The advertised specifications (2.7Ghz) are unobtainable during realworld and benchmark testing scenarios. The cooling system just can not handle the thermal footprint of the CPU/GPU. 

Long Explanation: I have spent a lot of time and effort in researching this problem. Here are a few things I have discovered. First, Dell has a history with producing systems that can't handle the thermal requirements of the chips installed inside of them. One would think that Dell would learn from their mistakes... Second, the Latitude E series is probably an "end of life" model. Dell jumped the gun on the E6540 and failed to do the engineering. They assumed that the E6530 design could accommodate a CPU/GPU combination with a higher TDP than it's predecessor (E6530). Likewise, the E6540 was one of the first enterprise-grade Haswell notebooks. So I'm sure the pressure was really on at Dell to push this out of the door. These machines are inherently flawed. DOA! We have been scammed. For those of you who have upgraded to the 2.8Ghz model. You really got scammed! You will never be able to use that horsepower.

I have been a 15+ year Apple customer. This has been my first PC in a long time. Frankly, I'm very disappointed.

Now. Let me go ahead and leave a few links here that reference other forums/sources that discuss this issue:

[Notebook Review: Forum] http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/729032-e6540-owners-thread-29.html

[NotebookCheck.net Reviews] http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Latitude-E6540-i7-4800MQ-HD-8790M-Notebook.97595.0.html

As a customer, I have been instructed to 1) Update the BIOS 2) Reinstall Windows 3) Send in my machine for repair

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 19:00

Does Dell have any plan to modify the cooling system? To maybe somehow use 2 fans?

10 Posts

February 19th, 2014 17:00

I've been in contact with Basic Support, and they tell me I'll just have to send it to the depot. I've tried to provide documentation of this issue, and how it's a problem with the design, not a problem with a bad part or parts, but no one seems to want to hear it.

Very disappointing. I'll probably continue buying Dell at work, but I'll never buy Dell personally again, unless they are price competitive after ProSupport is added. I forgot how horrible Basic Depot really is. At work, next day a man shows up with a kit and parts and we're good. I'm used to ProSupport being part of the price. I can't help but regret my purchase, now that I realize what I've gotten myself in for.

10 Posts

February 20th, 2014 23:00

Just FYI, I have ProSupport for the first time with this laptop and it has been the worst service I've ever received from Dell... After a month+ of being transferred around, I eventually got the replacement I was originally offered (after the first few weeks of being lied to) - minus several key upgrades initially promised. I was mailed a M3800 as a swap, about to send the E6540 back tomorrow. I'll be selling the M3800 and not coming back to Dell for a long, long while.

All the documentation I provided and one rep out of the 6 or 7 that I've dealt with has read it (then he started ignoring me and after a week of being blown off, I was transferred again). Apparently it's also no longer Dell policy to actually make case notes when the reps don't feel like it because the reps that I've dealt with don't put anything down half the time. MAKE SURE YOU GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. All the stuff I was promised by the initial manger was done over the phone and he didn't document anything. After I was transferred, the new manager refused to do anything that the other manager promised unless I had it in an email. What's the point of having phone support if the reps are just going to lie to you and go back on their word? My latest case manager is very rude and incompetent. I'm going to give them their stupid machine back and write a rather lengthy and detailed report to be sent to michael@dell.com; I suggest you do the same. I've seen others have good luck after sending a detailed email to that address.

Good luck.

16 Posts

February 24th, 2014 12:00

My final response after sending my machine for testing was that yes, the machine throttles under high cpu/gpu load, but that it was normal for a system to do that when it gets too hot and that since this isn't a gaming machine that it is acceptable.  We know only gamers put the cpu/gpu under high load.  Return the system for a refund is the only option.

10 Posts

February 24th, 2014 12:00

It's not ideal, but I'd take it and run.. Run faaaaar. Everyone who has gotten offered a refund, accept it and look elsewhere. HP, Lenovo, or even buy a Sager/Clevo. 

And I find it funny that they brought up their gaming line. Read any real user reviews for the Alienware line and you'll see that they gimped that line this round as well. Dell royally screwed up their entire line up this year.. 

10 Posts

February 27th, 2014 12:00

Well, just got off what is likely my last Dell support Chat ever. Got the same tier 2 rep again, I advised them that my Lenovo rep, hearing of my dissatisfaction, has made me a competitive offer. He wanted me to tell them about the offer first (so they could decline or counteroffer or something?). Now I'm eligible for a depot service or exchange.

Exchange for an unaffected model? No. Same garbage machine.

I pointed out that this is like offering to replace a car with a broken windshield with a motorcycle that has no windshield at all. It still doesn't address the issue!

Dell remains patently unhelpful, does not want to do anything but have my laptop shipped in circles or deny the issue. I guess I'm a Lenovo user again, their offer is competitive or better on all specs, doesn't have a trash LCD, and has two fans and three heatsinks. What's not to like?

I'm still tempted to just take the refund, but I need a laptop for work, and this loaner E6530 is only mine for another 2-3 weeks.

10 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 05:00

I've managed to secure my loaner E6530 for a longer term, and I think I'm going to take this to the BBB. Dell insists everything is fine because it passes the built-in diagnostics, but those never touch the discrete graphics at all! Loading the CPU and the discrete GPU is the best way to illustrate the problem, and Dell seems uninterested in what, to me, looks like a design flaw that only occasionally manages to perform as intended.

March 5th, 2014 04:00

I also had a refund, 

- Forge 128, do you mind me asking which model of Lenovo laptop you are considering switching to please? I have gone back to the drawing board with my options. - Thanks.

10 Posts

March 5th, 2014 14:00

I was considering the Lenovo W540, as it has somewhat similar specs, actually it's a little closer to the M4800. Given Lenovo's policy on WLAN whitelists and Dell's position on Linux support, I decided not to go that route yet. I'm currently in communication with the BBB and waiting for a promised contact from Dell escalation to possibly resolve.

16 Posts

March 5th, 2014 15:00

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, outside of a refund is offered.

3 Posts

March 5th, 2014 15:00

Dell Australia swapped my e6540 for a refurbished M6800, with same processor but much better graphics (Nvidia 3100m card option with 4gb gddr5). Needless to say I was happy, machine looks new and still has same warranty.

10 Posts

March 11th, 2014 14:00

Well, after filing a complaint with the BBB, I was put in contact with yet another Dell rep who wanted me to send the laptop in for service, as if they're going to be installing a MAGICAL heatsink that violates thermodynamics when I do. I was insistent that this is NOT a failed part, it's a horribly bad design, I was told I was incorrect. I have been offered to send my laptop in to depot for service, or send my laptop in and they'll ship another one of the EXACT SAME SPECS, including the same small single fan and anemic, underspec heatsink.

WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND???? 150W of heat pumped into a heatsink smaller than my cellphone's battery.... And it overheats, no matter what the fan is doing. Gasp! Shock! Quel horror!

I'm tempted to take the slightly larger Heatsink out of my E6530 and put it in my E6540, but why throw away good money after bad?

10 Posts

March 13th, 2014 16:00

Well, after a long and arduous discussion... My M4800 is in pre-production. I probably shouldn't say anything, I don't want to jinx it, but Dell is doing right by me, now, so I feel I should do right by them and note it publicly.

1 Message

April 9th, 2014 21:00

I own a loaded to the max with an intel latitude e6540, bought it in dec of 13. Love it's speed and usability, screen, keyboard it's great. Except the thing is so hot I have to be carful about leaving a pen next to. all I'm running on it is outlook office programs like outlook, word and excel.. Nothing to draw any demand out of it. I have a thermal gun and check the temp today and the desk next to the vent was at 126 deg f..  This can't be right. What are my options? Besides using to keep my coffee warm! 

Email me at <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed as per privacy policy>if anyone can offer any advice. 

10 Posts

April 15th, 2014 11:00

Ah, don't worry! Dell assured me that no one has ever reported these issues, that their laptops are fully QC checked for a range of environments, and that it's not hot, I'm mistaken!

Call Dell daily and tell them about it. Make them take action. Make them replace your laptop or send it in for depot service 20 times. Then, once they've replaced it 3-4 times, demand a nicer model. My M4800 is lovely.

No Events found!