Highlighted
nidany
1 Nickel

E6540 - "this device can perform faster...connect it to a super speed usb 3...blah blah"

Whenever I connect a usb 3.0 device to a port in my E6540 I get the infamous notification:"this device can perform faster...connect it to a super speed usb 3...blah blah".

My laptop has 16 GB ram. CPU is i7-4800MQ. Win 7 64.

In order to spare useless suggestions, please note that...

1. My bios is up to date

2. All system drivers are up to date (Dell & Intel latest versions)

3. All usb cables are OK. That notification appears with every device I connect - external HD's & flash drives.

4. All external devices are USB 3.0. Please don't ask me to recheck it.

5. All usb ports on this laptop are blue and Dell swears they are USB 3.0.

6. USB  3.0 controller in bios setup is enabled.

7. Yeah - I've already uninstalled all usb devices in Windows Device Manager & let the OS reinstall them.

8. Sure - I have downloaded  UsbTreeView V2.4.3.0 and it insists on "high speed" and refuses to confirm "super speed"' i.e. it agrees with that abominable Windows notification. 

9. Transfer speeds confirm that notification as well.

10. All hardware info can be found in Dell's site under service tag #: <<Private data removed by admin>>

Any ideas please?

137 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: E6540 - "this device can perform faster...connect it to a super speed usb 3...blah blah"

Are these bus-powered driver and/or higher-capacity flash drives?  If so, they may consume more power than a single USB port can supply. 

Have you tried a powered, USB 3.0 hub?

0 Kudos
nidany
1 Nickel

RE: E6540 - "this device can perform faster...connect it to a super speed usb 3...blah blah"

Regular, run of the mill USB 3.0 disk on keys.

External Hdd's are regular. eg, a self powered Seagate 3 terra backup, Samsung M3 etc.

I am using a powered USB 3 hub. Same result as in usb ports.

0 Kudos
z0ner
1 Nickel

Same problem here, except I went one step further.  I downloaded the latest (3.0.2.54) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver here: downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx;DwnldID=22824

Didn't help.

I initially installed Windows 8.1 (hated it), and don't remember getting the notification there.  I may re-install my image and report back my findings.

0 Kudos
z0ner
1 Nickel

Does Dell Support monitor these threads?  Can we expect any input from them?  If I can't get 3.0 speeds from any of the ports, it'll be going back.

0 Kudos
gregory.jones
3 Silver

Hey z0ner,

I'm assuming for the Dell drivers (namely the chipset & USB ones from the Dell support site) you've tried uninstalling them and then reinstalling them?

Up to this point if you've had no success and your 8.1 experiment doesn't work out, have you tried contact Dell support directly?

~Jim

Feel free to call me Greggers
jim_survak on Alienware Arena
Other: iPhone XR, iPad Air, Mac mini, Hisense Chromebook (ARM-powered)
Retired and Donated to charity: Inspiron 530, Inspiron Mini 10, Inspiron M5030 (donated to mom, she's a charity case :P), XPS 720 Red & Silver, Venue 8 Pro - Red edition, Inspiron 11-3162
0 Kudos
z0ner
1 Nickel

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the 8 series chipset and USB 3 chipset drivers with no success.

I just loaded my 8.1 image and even though you DON'T get the notification, the Device Bus Speed is still set to 0x02 (High-Speed) and not Super-Speed.  Good going MS.  Enough people complain about receiving the notification so you remove it in the next OS.

I've tried all four ports with three different USB3.0 sticks.  No cables involved.  It's a shame - I really liked this notebook and wouldn't complain if even one out of the four worked.

Is anyone with this notebook (E6540) running at 3.0 speed?

On a side note, I can't install the latest Intel USB 3 chipset driver because they don't allow Win8 to install it.  I'm stuck with Dell's OEM Intel driver which is a moot point because Intel's direct driver didn't work in Win7 anyway.

0 Kudos
nidany
1 Nickel

As I've written in the original post, the same problem exists on my Win 7 X64.

No point in blaming the Win 8.1 - which is, certainly, a lousy OS.

As for Dell support, have you ever experienced their low, very low, professional level? Our only hope is that a real Dell pro reads this thread and answer it.

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

You have contaminated registry.  You should not mix generic INTEL drivers with the OEM Dell Drivers.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/latitude-e6540-laptop.html

If you update Bios make sure NO ANTIVIRUS software is installed or running or you can brick the machine.

CHIPSET Drivers are not optional.

Description Version Supported OS Download
Intel(R) Smart Connect Technology Application
This package provides Intel(R) Smart Connect Technology Application and is supported on Latitude, OptiPlex, Precision and Inspiron models running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.More details
4.2.41.2633 Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 8 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
WB32A
WB64A
Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology Application
This package provides Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology Application and is supported on OptiPlex, Precision and Latitude models that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7 and Windows 8.More details
3.0.0.1056 Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology Application
This package provides Intel Rapid Start Technology Application and is supported on Latitude and Precision models that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 8.1.More details
3.0.0.1056 WB64A
WB32A
Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Application
This package provides Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Application (for vPro systems) and is supported on Tablet, Latitude, OptiPlex and Precision that are running following Windows operating systems: Windows 8.1 32/64 bit.More details
9.5.14.1724 WB32A
WB64A
  • Description Supported OS Download
    Intel Chipset Device Software Driver
    This package provides Intel Chipset Device Driver and is supported on OptiPlex, Precision and Latitude series running the following Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012.More details
    WB64A
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    W12R2
    Windows 8 32-bit
    Windows 8 64-bit
    WB32A
    O2 Micro OZ777xxx/OZ621XX memory card reader Driver
    O2 Micro OZ777xxx/OZ621XX memory card reader driver for Precision, OptiPlex, Latitude series running the following Windows Operating Systems: Win 7, Win8 and Win 8.1.More details
    Windows 8 32-bit
    WB32A
    WB64A
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Intel USB3.0 xHCI Driver
    This package provides the driver for the 4th Generation Intel Core Processor U-Series Platform I/O and Intel 8 Series/C220 series Chipset Family Products and is supported on Latitude/Precision/OptiPlex systems running Windows 7.More details
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver
    This package provides Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver and is supported on OptiPlex, Inspiron Desktop, Precision and Latitude models that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.More details
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 8 32-bit
    Windows 8 64-bit
    WB32A
    WB64A
    O2Micro OZ777xxx/OZ621XX Memory Card Reader Driver
    This package provides O2Micro OZ777xxx/OZ621XX Memory Card Reader Driver and is supported on Precision and Latitude series running the following Windows Operating Systems: Win 8.1.More details
    WB32A
    WB64A

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Good day Community,

Thank you for all the posts and feedback related to this issue.

I found a support document on this topic that says if you disable the WIFI card in the BIOS, you'll only get USB 2.0.

The document also says that there's a BIOS update coming out to resolve this in either December or January.

The Bios rev required to fix this is A10 for the M6800, A11 E7240, E7440 and E6540, and A08 for the E6440.

If your wireless card is not disabled in the BIOS please post back and let me know. I'll see what else I can do.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO