Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2014 17:00

E6540 - "this device can perform faster...connect it to a super speed usb 3...blah blah"

Whenever I connect a usb 3.0 device to a port in my E6540 I get the infamous notification:"this device can perform faster...connect it to a super speed usb 3...blah blah".

My laptop has 16 GB ram. CPU is i7-4800MQ. Win 7 64.

In order to spare useless suggestions, please note that...

1. My bios is up to date

2. All system drivers are up to date (Dell & Intel latest versions)

3. All usb cables are OK. That notification appears with every device I connect - external HD's & flash drives.

4. All external devices are USB 3.0. Please don't ask me to recheck it.

5. All usb ports on this laptop are blue and Dell swears they are USB 3.0.

6. USB  3.0 controller in bios setup is enabled.

7. Yeah - I've already uninstalled all usb devices in Windows Device Manager & let the OS reinstall them.

8. Sure - I have downloaded  UsbTreeView V2.4.3.0 and it insists on "high speed" and refuses to confirm "super speed"' i.e. it agrees with that abominable Windows notification. 

9. Transfer speeds confirm that notification as well.

10. All hardware info can be found in Dell's site under service tag #: < >

Any ideas please?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Are these bus-powered driver and/or higher-capacity flash drives?  If so, they may consume more power than a single USB port can supply. 

Have you tried a powered, USB 3.0 hub?

35 Posts

Regular, run of the mill USB 3.0 disk on keys.

External Hdd's are regular. eg, a self powered Seagate 3 terra backup, Samsung M3 etc.

I am using a powered USB 3 hub. Same result as in usb ports.

18 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 15:00

Same problem here, except I went one step further.  I downloaded the latest (3.0.2.54) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver here: downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx;DwnldID=22824

Didn't help.

I initially installed Windows 8.1 (hated it), and don't remember getting the notification there.  I may re-install my image and report back my findings.

18 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 16:00

Does Dell Support monitor these threads?  Can we expect any input from them?  If I can't get 3.0 speeds from any of the ports, it'll be going back.

412 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 17:00

Hey z0ner,

I'm assuming for the Dell drivers (namely the chipset & USB ones from the Dell support site) you've tried uninstalling them and then reinstalling them?

Up to this point if you've had no success and your 8.1 experiment doesn't work out, have you tried contact Dell support directly?

~Jim

18 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 20:00

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the 8 series chipset and USB 3 chipset drivers with no success.

I just loaded my 8.1 image and even though you DON'T get the notification, the Device Bus Speed is still set to 0x02 (High-Speed) and not Super-Speed.  Good going MS.  Enough people complain about receiving the notification so you remove it in the next OS.

I've tried all four ports with three different USB3.0 sticks.  No cables involved.  It's a shame - I really liked this notebook and wouldn't complain if even one out of the four worked.

Is anyone with this notebook (E6540) running at 3.0 speed?

On a side note, I can't install the latest Intel USB 3 chipset driver because they don't allow Win8 to install it.  I'm stuck with Dell's OEM Intel driver which is a moot point because Intel's direct driver didn't work in Win7 anyway.

35 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 03:00

As I've written in the original post, the same problem exists on my Win 7 X64.

No point in blaming the Win 8.1 - which is, certainly, a lousy OS.

As for Dell support, have you ever experienced their low, very low, professional level? Our only hope is that a real Dell pro reads this thread and answer it.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 23rd, 2014 04:00

You have contaminated registry.  You should not mix generic INTEL drivers with the OEM Dell Drivers.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/latitude-e6540-laptop.html

If you update Bios make sure NO ANTIVIRUS software is installed or running or you can brick the machine.

CHIPSET Drivers are not optional.

Description Version Supported OS Download
Intel(R) Smart Connect Technology Application
This package provides Intel(R) Smart Connect Technology Application and is supported on Latitude, OptiPlex, Precision and Inspiron models running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.More details
4.2.41.2633 Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 8 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
WB32A
WB64A
Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology Application
This package provides Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology Application and is supported on OptiPlex, Precision and Latitude models that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7 and Windows 8.More details
3.0.0.1056 Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology Application
This package provides Intel Rapid Start Technology Application and is supported on Latitude and Precision models that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 8.1.More details
3.0.0.1056 WB64A
WB32A
Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Application
This package provides Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Application (for vPro systems) and is supported on Tablet, Latitude, OptiPlex and Precision that are running following Windows operating systems: Windows 8.1 32/64 bit.More details
9.5.14.1724 WB32A
WB64A
  • Description Supported OS Download
    Intel Chipset Device Software Driver
    This package provides Intel Chipset Device Driver and is supported on OptiPlex, Precision and Latitude series running the following Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012.More details
    WB64A
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    W12R2
    Windows 8 32-bit
    Windows 8 64-bit
    WB32A
    O2 Micro OZ777xxx/OZ621XX memory card reader Driver
    O2 Micro OZ777xxx/OZ621XX memory card reader driver for Precision, OptiPlex, Latitude series running the following Windows Operating Systems: Win 7, Win8 and Win 8.1.More details
    Windows 8 32-bit
    WB32A
    WB64A
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Intel USB3.0 xHCI Driver
    This package provides the driver for the 4th Generation Intel Core Processor U-Series Platform I/O and Intel 8 Series/C220 series Chipset Family Products and is supported on Latitude/Precision/OptiPlex systems running Windows 7.More details
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver
    This package provides Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver and is supported on OptiPlex, Inspiron Desktop, Precision and Latitude models that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.More details
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 8 32-bit
    Windows 8 64-bit
    WB32A
    WB64A
    O2Micro OZ777xxx/OZ621XX Memory Card Reader Driver
    This package provides O2Micro OZ777xxx/OZ621XX Memory Card Reader Driver and is supported on Precision and Latitude series running the following Windows Operating Systems: Win 8.1.More details
    WB32A
    WB64A

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 09:00

Good day Community,

Thank you for all the posts and feedback related to this issue.

I found a support document on this topic that says if you disable the WIFI card in the BIOS, you'll only get USB 2.0.

The document also says that there's a BIOS update coming out to resolve this in either December or January.

The Bios rev required to fix this is A10 for the M6800, A11 E7240, E7440 and E6540, and A08 for the E6440.

If your wireless card is not disabled in the BIOS please post back and let me know. I'll see what else I can do.

18 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 14:00

Thanks Justin, but WiFi has never been disabled, and I have the newest BIOS A12 (11/26/2014).

I always reformat Dell laptops to remove the bloatware, but for curiosity I put back the original image/disk in and sure enough the shipped Win7ProSP1-64 Dell image has the same problem.  To summarize:

USB3 (super-speed) is not working on any of the four ports, under any configuration

I've tried:

1. Original Win7ProSP1-64 shipped from Dell.

2. Fresh Win7ProSP1-64 with just the Intel 8 series chipset drivers (08/01/2014) and USB3 driver (6/6/2014) (Intel USB3.0 xHCI Driver).  Both drivers from Dell.

3. Fresh Win7ProSP1-64 with the newest generic Intel USB3.0 xHCI Driver (12/9/2014).

4. Fresh Win81Pro-64 with just the Intel 8 series chipset drivers (08/01/2014).

I'd like confirmation from Dell that any E6540's USB3.0 ports work with USB3.0 speed, and if so, what versions of OS, BIOS, and drivers they're running.  If I have a defective motherboard, I'd like it replaced.

One possibility I didn't explore is that the older version of BIOS that was shipped with this config may have worked.  I didn't discover the slow USBs until after I updated the BIOS to the newest, A12.  I do not wish to downgrade the BIOS unless this is proven.

18 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 14:00

Thanks Justin, but WiFi has never been disabled, and I have the newest BIOS A12 (11/26/2014).

I always reformat Dell laptops to remove the bloatware, but for curiosity I put back the original image/disk in and sure enough the shipped Win7ProSP1-64 Dell image has the same problem. To summarize:

USB3 (super-speed) is not working on any of the four ports, under any configuration.

I've tried:

1. Original Win7ProSP1-64 shipped from Dell.

2. Fresh Win7ProSP1-64 with just the Intel 8 series chipset drivers (08/01/2014) and USB3 driver (6/6/2014) (Intel USB3.0 xHCI Driver). Both drivers from Dell.

3. Fresh Win7ProSP1-64 with the newest generic Intel USB3.0 xHCI Driver (12/9/2014).

4. Fresh Win81Pro-64 with just the Intel 8 series chipset drivers (08/01/2014).

I'd like confirmation from Dell that any E6540's USB3.0 ports work with USB3.0 speed, and if so, what versions of OS, BIOS, and drivers they're running. If I have a defective motherboard, I'd like it replaced.

One possibility I didn't explore is that the older version of BIOS that was shipped with this config may have worked. I didn't discover the slow USBs until after I updated the BIOS to the newest, A12. I do not wish to downgrade the BIOS unless this is proven.

35 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 15:00

Right you are, ZONER. You give the exact description of what I did - and it didn't work!

Please refer to what I wrote formerly about the lack of professional know-how of those Dell employees: Take a good look at what that that Justin -C of dell says: "A11 bios for E6550". He does not even mention the subject of this thread - E6540 (A12 current bios). His lack of attention represents Dell's general policy towards their customers.

You write: "I'd like confirmation from Dell that any E6540's USB3.0 ports work with USB3.0 speed, and if so, what versions of OS, BIOS, and drivers they're running. If I have a defective motherboard, I'd like it replaced." Don't be naive - they won't!

Might be a good idea to get rid of the laptop and never buy another Dell product again, (except, of course, as a present for one of your bitter enemies...) 

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 15:00

@Zoner,

Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't notice the A12 BIOS that came out. I was just going by what my document told me then after your feedback, realized there was no A11 for E6540 and that A12 was on the website now.

Due to the issue happening in multiple operating systems and the symptoms being similar to what is in my document, I'm bringing this up with engineering and will be in touch.

Once I hear back from them we can make a decision to replace the motherboard, or not.

18 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 16:00

nidany, let's give Justin a chance to contact engineering.  We can't expect every Dell employee to have an eidetic memory in regards to every product line, and he was only one BIOS version off anyway.

I'm very eager to hear his response.

Happy Holidays to the both of you.

35 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 16:00

When you write "I didn't notice the A12 BIOS that came out. I was just going by what my document told me then after your feedback, realized there was no A11 for E6540 and that A12 was on the website now.", it clearly shows that my former post was, regrettably, true.

No Events found!