Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2014 17:00

E6540 - "this device can perform faster...connect it to a super speed usb 3...blah blah"

Whenever I connect a usb 3.0 device to a port in my E6540 I get the infamous notification:"this device can perform faster...connect it to a super speed usb 3...blah blah".

My laptop has 16 GB ram. CPU is i7-4800MQ. Win 7 64.

In order to spare useless suggestions, please note that...

1. My bios is up to date

2. All system drivers are up to date (Dell & Intel latest versions)

3. All usb cables are OK. That notification appears with every device I connect - external HD's & flash drives.

4. All external devices are USB 3.0. Please don't ask me to recheck it.

5. All usb ports on this laptop are blue and Dell swears they are USB 3.0.

6. USB  3.0 controller in bios setup is enabled.

7. Yeah - I've already uninstalled all usb devices in Windows Device Manager & let the OS reinstall them.

8. Sure - I have downloaded  UsbTreeView V2.4.3.0 and it insists on "high speed" and refuses to confirm "super speed"' i.e. it agrees with that abominable Windows notification. 

9. Transfer speeds confirm that notification as well.

10. All hardware info can be found in Dell's site under service tag #: < >

Any ideas please?

35 Posts

January 4th, 2015 16:00

Vern:

Let me remind you that last year, specifically 29/12/2014, our esteemed colleague, zOner, was so infuriated at my oh so low European manners that he wrote me:

"nidany, I don't care if you started this thread or not - I'm getting real sick of your combativeness and negativity.  Give Dell time to investigate so we can ALL get the issue fixed, or live in your misery by yourself."

I sincerely advise you to stop harassing Justin - Dell lest you invoke zOner's wrath upon ye. Do remember what The Good Book says : "My wrath shall become hot, and I will kill you with the sword;" (Exodus 22:24).

You are trying to be logical - why not be more spiritual and wait patiently until Santa's next visit?

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

January 5th, 2015 09:00

@Verngraner,

So far, Dell has been able to duplicate the following: After updating the E6540 to A12 BIOS, USB only works at 2.0 speeds.

I personally submitted the case to the Dell engineering team. Dell engineering is moving forward with the case and I will be monitoring it. The tracking numbers for this issue are all internal at this time. I will post back with any further updates as they become available to me.

16 Posts

January 5th, 2015 11:00

Hello Justin.

Thank you for the update. I look forward to a solution.

In the meantime, would it be possible to revert the E6540 to an earlier BIOS that doesn't have the problem?

If so, can you let us know what version(s) do not have the problem?

Vern

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

January 5th, 2015 13:00

@Verngraner,

Anything A10 and below should be fine, as long as you're running with wireless enabled in the BIOS. 

Go here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/latitude-e6540-laptop/drivers

Expand 'BIOS' then click 'other versions available'.

16 Posts

January 6th, 2015 08:00

Justin:

Thank you for the downgrade instructions. This has worked for me and has restored my USB super speed connections.

Workaround to restore USB3 Super Speed on E6540

1. Disconnected ALL the USB peripherals from the machine
  2. Downgrade the BIOS from A12 to A05, (machine will restart)
  3. Log back in, open DEVICE MANAGER and remove all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", ticking the check box "uninstall driver software" on each item where it is offered
  4. Downloaded "Chipset_Driver_8DT62_WN_9.4.0.1016_A00.EXE", and install it
  5. Downloaded "Chipset_Driver_5JFFN_WN_2.5.4.40_A05.EXE" and install it
  6. Reboot
  7. Logged back in then connect your USB peripherals one by one noting the prompts

Each device you connect should be properly recognized for its maximum speed level as it did for me. Use USBTreeView to verify. My results are shown here:

So, this workaround brings back my USB3 speed. I hope this other folks while we are waiting for a real fix from Dell.

Note to Justin: Thank you for your on going work on this issue. Please keep us informed as progress is made.

Vern

35 Posts

January 6th, 2015 13:00

Vern,

I downgraded to A10 as suggested by Justin.

Did it straight - no disconnections, no uninstallments.

Everything went smoothly and USB viewer reported that all ports are now "usb 3 Supersped".

In my case there was no need for the procedure described by you. This might be related to differences in configuration and/or different peripherals.

16 Posts

January 6th, 2015 19:00

Glad to hear that worked on your system. :) I tried doing the downgrade to A10 and after the reboot my external hard drives were still reporting as USB2.0. :(

I maybe went a little overboard in the steps I used, but the system came back with USB 3.09 after I did so I wanted to document what worked out on my system. I'm just glad to be back to full speed as I am dependent on my external drive array for work!

I'm hoping Dell comes back with a fix for this issue soon so I can get patched back up to the most recent bios and drivers.

Vern

35 Posts

January 7th, 2015 01:00

Hi vern,

A few months ago, with the older bios update, I had a similar problem with my external HDD's.

Solved it with 13 US$ (really), by ordering a powered usb 3.0, 7 ports hub, from Aliexpress. Works like a charm!

2 Posts

January 12th, 2015 10:00

I have the same problem with all four ports running at USB 2 not USB 3.  Now one receives the warning, but I suppose they never worked properly.

Any further news?

16 Posts

January 12th, 2015 12:00

Any update for us yet Justin?

Vern

2 Posts

January 12th, 2015 12:00

On my Win7-64, problems emerged and now have been beaten into submission.

I ran the PSA and there are no hardware problems.

I downgraded to BIOS A10 and tried the result.  No warning "move for USB3-SS for faster" but the speed was slow with Sandisk USB3 key.  I have now gone further back to A05 to get the functionality back based on:

en.community.dell.com/.../20715345

Modified from the above (thank you, sir!) by default to:

1. Downgrade the BIOS from A12 to A05, (machine will restart)
  2. Log back in, open DEVICE MANAGER and remove all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", ticking the check box "uninstall driver software" on each item where it is offered
  3. Downloaded "Chipset_Driver_8DT62_WN_9.4.0.1016_A00.EXE", and install it

That sufficed for me, since the further download indicated in the posting failed to install for me.  It may be that BIOS A05 was "enough".

There should be a proper, up-to-date solution.

35 Posts

January 15th, 2015 16:00

Hey, guys. I've almost missed it. Our thread is celebrating its first month birthday (started on 14th December).

Justin ,take a moment off your strenuous efforts to support us & join the party! I know that deep down in your corporate heart you wish us many happy returns of the day. 

74 Posts

January 15th, 2015 16:00

35 Posts

January 16th, 2015 04:00

RBBEN,

Consider us lucky. These guys are waiting for a solution since June 2011:

[View:en.community.dell.com/.../19889928]

2 Posts

January 20th, 2015 07:00

Hello,

Any news when Dell releases an update? or should I really downgrade my bios version :-(

At least share with us if we can expect an update before 1 February 2015? If you can't do that, I know you are not working hard enough on the problem and I should downgrade...

No Events found!