Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 20th, 2014 06:00

E7440 Win 8.1 Update - Slow Performance After Resume From Sleep

I have a new Latitude E7440, the only install is office 2013. Out of the box, did windows update, did the 8.1 update.

If I put it to sleep (close the lid) and wake it up again, the system experiences slow performance - choppy youtube video, audio artifacts, Chrome and windows explorer hangs, etc. This happens on battery and plugged in. 

If I do a hard restart, the issue goes away. 

Once I saw an error flash from the tray saying the intel video driver had crashed and was resetting. Only caught a glimpse of it. 

I tried reinstalling both video and audio drivers (including safemode-restart), including the pre-8.1 video drivers and I still get the same issue. 

Anyone else having this sort of issue? Haven't found anything with search. Thanks!

3 Posts

March 17th, 2014 15:00

Finally fixed it. Revered bios to A05, then incrementally flashed to A06, then A07.

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2014 09:00

Tried reinstalling 8.1 and still having the issue. 

2 Posts

February 24th, 2014 05:00

I am having the same issue on one machine I use for deployment test. We have 10 to 20 other 7440 machines deployed without any user complaints about long reboot times. The machine with an issue I use to test deployment images. I have redeployed the machine countless times working with images. I have had issues with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. I have started to just shutdown the machine instead of sleeping or restarting. After a fresh OS install I reboot and when the machine should be posting the BIOS. It freezes on a black screen with HD activity. If you wait the 10 to 20 minutes it will post. If you hold the power button it will shut down. When you press the power button the machine will post immediately. It appears to be something with the BIOS on my machine. I have the latest BIOS A07 I have cleared the TPM settings and redeployed - Did not help I have Reset all keys in the Expert Key Management - Did not help I have deleted all keys in the Expert Key Management - Did not help I have reset the BIOS back to Default settings - Did not help I did notice when Dell went to post the A07 BIOS on the update webpage they posted A01 BIOS at first. If you look at previous BIOS versions A01 is out there with the date of 2/6/14 where A07 has date of 2/7/14. I think there is a BIOS issue... But I cannot explain why I do not have issues with all my E7440s if that was the case. Bob

5 Posts

March 13th, 2014 21:00

I am actually having the same issue with slowness after I resume form sleep. The laptop gets unbearably slow if I am on any profile other than "high performance".

It is perfectly fast on the balaced and power saver profiles...until I put it to sleep and wake it up again. Then it gets slow. 

1 Message

October 14th, 2015 14:00

Had this issue for quite a while driving my batty, was able to resolve in Windows 8.1 Pro running A15 BIOS by doing the following:

Boot to Safe Mode (Hold *** while clicking Restart - Choose Advanced Boot then Safe Mode upon Restart)

delete all files within C:\Windows\Prefetch (do not delete the ReadyBoost folder)

delete all files within C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoost

Run Disk Cleanup and delete all but Service Pack files

Reboot.  (Should be fixed)

Thank you Mark Bohn @ Dell ProSupport for helping me resolve this and my IgfxTray crashes!

No Events found!