Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2009 06:00

'ERROR CODE:0141, MSG ERROR CODE: 2000-0141, HARD DRIVE:- NO DRIVE DETECTED'

IN my Dell Inspiron 1520 , whenever I start my laptop I get the message "Internal hard disk drive not found.
To resolve this issue, try to reseat the drive.
No bootable devices -- strike F1 to retry boot, F2 to set up utility.
Press F5 to run on board diagnostics."

I ran onbiard diagnostics which showed following:
error code = 0141
msg error code = error code 2000- 0141
msg : no drive detected

I also opened the Hard Drive by removing hard drive screws to reseat the drive and put it back again as it was there intially.But when i started my Dell Inspiron 1520 , I get the same message -- "Internal Hard Disk Drive Not Found TO Resolve This Issue, Try TO Reseat The Drive" came.Please help me in this.

1 Message

October 19th, 2009 07:00

Hi, the errorcode speaks for itself, the system can't find the hard drive, i suggest you try plugging it into an desktop system as salve to try and save data, but if it is not found there either you will have to buy a new hard drive/get one on the warranty.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 19th, 2009 15:00

dmaha17

The hard drive has failed and you need to replace it.

If you have a Dell warranty, contact Dell's Technical Support for a replacement.

Bev.

1 Message

July 30th, 2010 12:00

Hello, I got the same error 2000-0141, HDD not found. This started to happen after I replaced my original HDD with a new and bigger one (as capacity).

Is there anything beside changing the HDD that I can do?

I'll replace it soon anyway with a faster laptop HDD , but if possible to do anything else, the help would be appreciated. :emotion-2:

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 15:00

I have the same problem on a Inspiron 1525

Replaced the old drive with a new hard drive and the PC says hard drive not found.

The new hard drive is tested and working in another PC so I know that is fine.

Old (Original) Hard Drive: Hitachi 5K320-250 (250 gb 5400 RPM Sata II)

New Hard Drive: Hitachi Z5k500-500 (500 gb 5400 RPM Sata II)

Any thoughts?

4.4K Posts

February 24th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. If you are conforming the new HDD works fine on another system,the other point of failure would be the HDD connector on the mother board. You may have to get the mother board replaced.

Is your system still covered under warranty? If you like me to check the warranty status, please accept my friend request,click on my user name  and send me a private message with the system service tag number.

Thank You

Roshan.

2 Posts

February 24th, 2012 05:00

The drive at this point has been tested working on a newer sony laptop and a newer dell vostro desktop. We have two older Inspirons (1525 / 1505) and the drive does not work on either.

Would an update to the bios helps solve the problem?

I confirm the drive is connected correctly and firmly to the board.

Other lower capacity older laptop drives do work on the older Inspirons without any problems (a 160 and 250 gb hitachi drives and 250 western digital).

If these other drives work I do not think its the connector?

4.4K Posts

February 24th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

I did a bit of research on this and i find this system has been tested with 500 GB 5400 RPM Sata II HDD from Toshiba  and Samsung.So ideally 500 GB HDD 5400 RPM Sata II should work on this system.

So in your case you may try updating the BIOS and see if that helps.(However updating BIOS sometimes may cause motherboard failure.Hope you are aware of it and if the system is out of warranty Dell will not be able to replace motherboard free of charge, in case of motherboard failure while updating BIOS).

If you want to update BIOS, use the link below to download the latest BIOS version A17 for your system.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Thank You

Roshan.

1 Message

September 10th, 2012 04:00

I am experiencing the same error - 0141 with my Dell Inspiron E-1505 having Seagate 60 Gb HDD!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 10th, 2012 11:00

jainashish

The hard drive is toast and you need to replace it.

If you have a Dell warranty, contact Dell's Technical Support for a replacement.

Bev.

1 Message

October 1st, 2012 21:00

Hello I am wondering if anyone has tried updating bios yet?  I have the same issue on a brand new SSD.  It does not seem to want to use this new drive on a regular basis.  It has ran just fine for the last two months and now this error code is appearing.  Inspiron 1505 here.

Thanks

2 Posts

November 25th, 2012 00:00

how can i fix this same problem

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 25th, 2012 02:00

See above -- replace the hard drive.

January 2nd, 2013 09:00

I have the Optiplex 755 with the 0141 Error. It's the same harddrive that has been working for years and even works fine in my external case, the HDD works 100%.

After testing new cables etc I came to the conclusion that I need a Bios Update, I got this idea from seeing that my Bios was version A04 and the latest online is A21.

Makes perfect sense to update the BIOS right? ..... wait a minute, I can't access the harddrive so how am I going to use the DCCU Utility? Well I can't haha!

Can anyone please tell me how to update the BIOS using my USB stick which I know is bootable as it runs the Windows 7 Install app on it.

PLEASE HELP :)

4.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 22:00

Hi DomJacksonUK,

Welcome to the Community,

For steps to create  and flash BIOS using USB stick refer to this link below :

www.biosflash.com/.../bios-boot-usb-stick.htm

Note:This is a 3rd party link and not a Dell validated link.

Hope this helps,

Thank You

8 Posts

May 9th, 2013 21:00

Hi

I am having the same issue on my laptop but it is happening sporadically. The laptop was purchased in 2008 so I guess its pretty old but then it was used by my parents so not subjected to the usual rough usage and wear and tear.

Could it be a HDD issue if it is coming up sporadically and not all the time ? I have re installed the OS but no respite and yes some other symptoms I am seeing are 

a) Very slow boot times 

b) Laptop hanging a lot and crashing

I would have expected the laptop to never start up if the HDD goes bad but in my case sometimes its starting and sometimes giving this error message.

No Events found!