Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2009 06:00

'ERROR CODE:0141, MSG ERROR CODE: 2000-0141, HARD DRIVE:- NO DRIVE DETECTED'

IN my Dell Inspiron 1520 , whenever I start my laptop I get the message "Internal hard disk drive not found.
To resolve this issue, try to reseat the drive.
No bootable devices -- strike F1 to retry boot, F2 to set up utility.
Press F5 to run on board diagnostics."

I ran onbiard diagnostics which showed following:
error code = 0141
msg error code = error code 2000- 0141
msg : no drive detected

I also opened the Hard Drive by removing hard drive screws to reseat the drive and put it back again as it was there intially.But when i started my Dell Inspiron 1520 , I get the same message -- "Internal Hard Disk Drive Not Found TO Resolve This Issue, Try TO Reseat The Drive" came.Please help me in this.

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2013 02:00

Hi hpant,

Welcome to the Community,

As per your observation it does sound like a failing HDD.

Did you run the hardware diagnostics(tap F12 on start up,Dell logo,select Diagnostics)?Did you get the exact error code/message as posted by the original poster?

Also please post your full system model  and Windows version.

Thank You

8 Posts

May 10th, 2013 03:00

Thanks Roshan. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525 running on Windows 7 Home edition. In case the HDD has gone bad , can you please give me some rough estimate on the costs involved if I get it checked and fixed from Dell India ?

8 Posts

May 10th, 2013 19:00

I did carry out the diagnostic tests and I got the following error codes

First I got 2000-0142. When I opted for the testing to continue, I got 2000-0146.

Later during the advanced diagnostics of my HDD , I got the error code 0F00:0244saying uncorrectable data error or edia is write protected.

Incidentally I read somewhere that in the BIOS changing the SATA setting from AHCI to ATA fixes this up. What exactly is that ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 10th, 2013 20:00

Your hard drive is physically faulty and must be replaced.  No BIOS setting will fix the problem - you need a new drive.

4.4K Posts

May 11th, 2013 00:00

Hi hpant,

As ejn63 suggested the BIOS settings will not help to fix the issue.You will need to get the HDD replaced.

For repair options(charges) please contact Dell India Technical Support.

Thank You

3 Posts

June 15th, 2013 11:00

NOT TRUE!! IT MIGHT NOT BE THE HDD!!! i too have the same issue, i removed the HDD and it works fine when i placed it in a caddy in the expansion bay also it works fine in 6 other laptops and 4 desktops (including a a mac running bootcamp) the ribbon cable to the  SATA connector may be  loose or its a cold solder on the PBC. i will get back to you after i have dissected the MoBo also i installed xp and 7 on two other drives while in the main HDD bay they worked for three boot cycles then disappeared, could also be a Driver corruption or bios issue.

3 Posts

June 15th, 2013 11:00

IT MIGHT NOT BE THE HDD!!! i too have the same issue, i removed the HDD and it works fine when i placed it in a caddy in the expansion bay also it works fine in 6 other laptops and 4 desktops (including a a mac running bootcamp) the ribbon cable to the  SATA connector may be  loose or its a cold solder on the PBC. i will get back to you after i have dissected the MoBo also i installed xp and 7 on two other drives while in the main HDD bay they worked for three boot cycles then disappeared, could also be a Driver corruption or bios issue.

3 Posts

June 15th, 2013 12:00

first i'm going to flash the bios (A16) to the previews version (A15) and test it until it fails. if A15 fails i will flash to A14 ...and so on until i can confirm its not the bios then i will dig into the MoBo.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2015 16:00

your brain is toast....I'm putting in a new hdd and get the error.

I see you don't work for Dell, which makes sense.

1 Message

September 6th, 2017 18:00

I had this problem too, and a friend made a wild suggestion that worked.

BACKGROUND:. I have 2 identical D830's that failed the same way within days of each other. Each had a Seagate 7mm drive in the drive slot. Nothing was being recognized. But, both drives were proven good using a USB interface on another computer (i.e. offboard HDD drive case).  Even brand new Seagate 1TB 7mm drives failed to recognize for Windows or Ubuntu.

I was suspecting the SATA connector wasn't working right, because testing with a 9mm HDD (Hitachi, WD) both worked, booting fine.  And, the connector appears soldered onto the motherboard.

SOLUTION: My friend casually mentioned sticking some foam tape on the drive near the connector to keep it tight. so I did, and believe it or not both computers, and both drives, came back to life the same way. So the solution was 5-cents worth of thin (2mm) 2-sided foam tape with a piece of hard packaging plastic on the top sticky edge to avoid it sticking once inserted.

Sounds weird, but it's true. All these problems people have may be due to the shifting of the SATA connector on the Motherboard, and a bit more tension is all that is needed to get a firm electrical connection. Could be from being dropped, or bouncing around during shipping (my situation) or blind luck. Don't forget those screws to hold it in, though!! Pretty important.

Hope this solution works for you too!

Don M

Vancouver, Canada

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2017 05:00

It isn't tension - it's that the system was designed for 9.5 mm drives -- the 7 mm drive needs a spacer.  While foam tape may work, it's also likely to melt and make a mess inside the system.  A cleaner solution is to use a hard plastic spacer.

Example:

www.amazon.com/.../B014LQM6I2

No Events found!