Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 15:00

ERROR MESSAGE

Hi-  I was given a INSPIRON 1000 laptop. When I turn it on I get the message where you have th options to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe with command prompt. Then it says windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys. I don't have the install disc because it came loaded. Anybody think actually getting the disc will fix the problem or is it just fried? Anyway to repair this without the disc?

14.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 15:00

Most likely without a disk no. However you do not necessarilaly need a Dell disk. If you have XP or vista you could in fact borrow one to to a repair or repair reinstall. 

IF you are the orginal owner you can go HERE to request disks.

872 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 18:00

3 Posts

February 4th, 2009 03:00

Thanks for your help! I have been on a mission to find a copy but so far I am not having any luck. Everybody has Dells around here that came preloaded. :emotion-6: I will let you know how it turns our if I ever find a disc.

6 Posts

February 4th, 2009 03:00

1)this error msg tells  u the issue is only with the operating system files.

2) u needs to have the os cd , (call the company from whr u got the computer) request for a cd.

3) u needs to do a chkdsk /p which will resolve the issue.

steps to do chkdsk /p;

1)insert the cd in the tray , urn off the computer while turning it on tap f12 for 10 times.

2) it wil show up boot options . select cd/dvd> hit enter on it and tap any key for 5 to 8 times "it might show  press any key to continue" the moment u see it tap any key for 5 more times

3)it wil give u 3 option > select option 2. repair u r computer.

4) it wil give u a dos screen thr type chkdsk /p. it willl do for 12 min

and type fixboot .

thn reboot the computer

issue resolved. ..............................................:emotion-1:

14.4K Posts

February 4th, 2009 07:00

1)this error msg tells  u the issue is only with the operating system files.

2) u needs to have the os cd , (call the company from whr u got the computer) request for a cd.

3) u needs to do a chkdsk /p which will resolve the issue.

steps to do chkdsk /p;

1)insert the cd in the tray , urn off the computer while turning it on tap f12 for 10 times.

2) it wil show up boot options . select cd/dvd> hit enter on it and tap any key for 5 to 8 times "it might show  press any key to continue" the moment u see it tap any key for 5 more times

3)it wil give u 3 option > select option 2. repair u r computer.

4) it wil give u a dos screen thr type chkdsk /p. it willl do for 12 min

and type fixboot .

thn reboot the computer

issue resolved. ..............................................:emotion-1:

Why are you repeating something that two posters above you have alread said?

3 Posts

February 8th, 2009 05:00

ok.. I got the re-install disc but I can't get it to boot to the cd it just keeps going back to the black screen that says run in safe mode etc.. it runs the white lines across the screen and just starts back over. Help!

14.4K Posts

February 8th, 2009 05:00

Sounds like the system is not booting from the disk but instead booting from the harddrive.

what you need to do is have the disk in your cd drive power on the computer and as soon as you see the big Dell splash screen press F12 to access the boot menu. on the menu screen select the cd and press the enter key.

The next thing you will see is a white bar at the bottom of the screen with Loading Windows Files above it.

Now if your trying to save the data try a Repair Reinstalltion.

If your just want to do complete reinstall just continue on

No Events found!