Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

21 Posts

January 2nd, 2008 06:00

Eratic Pointing Stick

I purchased my Lattitude D820 for the most part because it was the only Dell notebook I could find that had the pointing stick.  I have used the pointing stick exclusively on my Inspiron 8200 for the past 4 years and prefer it and know how to use it.  However, I am unable to get the pointing stick on the Lattitude under control.  The cursor jumps erratically and sometimes is very difficult to control at all.  I have updated and rolled back drivers from Dell and no improvement at all.  I have tried to fine tune the settings for it but still no improvement.  Since I know I am quite adept with a pointing stick, I am certain the problem lies with either pointing stick software or hardware.
Does anyone have any suggestions?   It is making the notebook very difficult to use, as clicking in one box often leads to a click in the adjacent box when the pointing stick jumps out of control.
Thanks for any help!

29 Posts

January 4th, 2008 01:00

It is probably a hardware problem. I work in an enterprise environment and have seen this on hundreds of laptops, and the only way to resolve the problem was to replace the whole main board or disabling the touchpad/stick in the bios. I have tried just about every type of software action one can do, and it all pointed towards the hardware.

No Events found!