Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2015 13:00

Erratic Mouse/Touchpad Behavior on Inspiron 15 5447

I've had my laptop for a little over 4 months. I primarily use a wireless mouse with it...and every so often the mouse will take on a mind of its own. I can be typing or even trying to use the mouse and it will start jumping all over the screen on its own...selecting things...even switching/moving windows as if buttons are being pressed as well. At first I thought maybe it was interference with the touchpad...so I've tried both disabling the touchpad when the external mouse is plugged in...and disabling the touchpad altogether and the issue still occurs. So then I thought maybe the mouse is the issue, so at one point when it wents nuts on me, I turned it off and switched over to the touchpad...but the erratic behavior continued. The only thing I can do to fix it is to reboot...and then things are typically okay for several days before the issue starts up again. Any thoughts on what the issue maybe, or troubleshooting tips?

58 Posts

February 22nd, 2015 10:00

This worked  -  DELL  has  a terrible touchpad  - this is  a hardware issue ONLY that affects  the 3000 , 4000, 5000 and 7000 series .  I bought a screen protector from the dollar store for a dollar, this worked where all software solutions had failed.

• alpha-onezero
    Posted by alpha-onezero
    Verified Answer
    Verified by  pelosap

Hi everyone!

Like you I have been having all the same touchpad issues. At first I thought it was ESD and troubleshot that for a few days. I finally concluded that it had nothing to do with ESD and moved on to possible driver issues. I installed every driver pack I could find, modified them, turned off driver signing in order to install the OEM drivers, used Windows 7, 8, 8.1, Ubuntu etc... but to no avail.

From the onset, some sort of physical problem seemed to be the most logical conclusion. The question was just what! I couldn't believe that synaptics could make such an aweful touchpad that was incapable of actually working. I made the assumption moving forward that the issue had to be caused by something small. During my last clean install of Windows 8.1 I noticed that the default windows driver caused the touchpad to be EXTREMELY sensitive. You'll notice that once you install Dell's latest driver the cursor movement calms down considerably. The touchpad is still extremely sensitive, the driver is just taking all that raw input and generalizing it into a more manageable cursor. Conclusion, the touchpad is too sensitive.

I compared this premise with my previous experiences and found that in large part they supported each other. My touchpad would typically freak out after a lot of 2 finger scrolling or a lot of gesture movements.  In fact it would stop working entirely if I blew hot breath on it. Conclusion, I needed to desensitize/protect the touchpad... but how!?

In my first attempt I simply took clear packing tape and completely covered the touchpad. Not expecting anything I ran my finger across it and found that the cursor movement felt much more controllable. I used it for 30 minutes like this with only a few minor issues. (My touchpad ALWAYS freaks out within the first 15 mintues so for me this was a big deal!) I laid a few more layers of tape down and the functionality kept getting better and better. Since I was getting better performance with more layers of tape and because clear packing tape doesn't look great stuck to your laptop I wanted to find a better solution. I needed a thick tough plastic that I would stick to the surface of the touchpad and that didn't require me to use multiple layers of it. Conclusion, use 3M Laminating plastic.

In this second attempt I disassembled the laptop and removed the touchpad from the palm rest area. I used a Magic Eraser pad with a little water and very little soap to clean the surface of the touchpad. After it was clean and dry I cut an oversized square piece of laminating plastic and placed the touchpad face down on the sticky side of the plastic. I then took a razorblade and carefully trimmed off the excess by tracing around the edge of the touchpad. The result was a perfectly sized piece of plastic on top of the touchpad. I reinstalled the touchpad in the palm rest and reassembled the computer. (Please take note that there is a bit of grounding wire tape on the rear of the touchpad that must be reapplied during installation.)

I've been using it like this for 3 days now with ZERO problems!!! I hope Dell takes notice of this post and comes up with an actual solution. The black surface of the touchpad is itself just plastic stuck onto the touchpads circuitry using an adhesive. It would seem like the simple solution would be for them to replace it with a thicker more robust piece. One thing I did notice is that the 3M plastic is more rough than the original touchpad surface which makes it hard to drag your finger across it. When I first started my finger kept skipping on the touchpad which caused the cursor to jump around, however after a few hours it smoothed out nicely. You may have better luck using a different plastic such as a cellphone screen protector since it's designed to have fingers touching it.

Anyways I really hope this has helped you guys. I have been just as cranky about this as you and I still think Dell needs to OFFICIALLY do something about this problem! (DELL PLEASE TAKE NOTE!) In the mean time I hope this gets you guys up and running and able to enjoy your laptops once again! Good luck!

4 Posts

April 10th, 2015 09:00

Hi Ravi,

I'd like to inform you that you sir are 100% incorrect. This is not an issue an issue that can be fixed from a driver update or software installation as you claim. This issue is from..... cheap hardware..... because dell is cheap and cuts corners on manufacturing. For anyone reading this please feel free to click the links below where more issues are addressed about this laptop, the cheap parts they used to build it, along with their customer service.

http://tinyurl.com/ppdpcaw

http://tinyurl.com/ppdpcaw

Do yourself a favor and purchase from another company due to dell's blatant disrespect to all customers that purchased this laptop. There are literally hundreds of threads across the internet and specifically this website where dell responds with this same "Driver update" ***. Take responsibility for your piece of *** product by fixing these wifi and touchpad issues by giving us some *** hardware replacements. *** dell, I'll make sure to stick with Asus next time.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 25th, 2015 22:00

Hi mattpsu79,

I would suggest you to update the touchpad drivers on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below and click on ‘Get drivers and downloads’ then download the touchpad driver from ‘Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices’ section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I would advise you to download and install the ‘TouchFreeze’ software from the link below and check for issue resolution.

http://bit.ly/oS0Hd

Please let me know if this helps.

7 Posts

January 28th, 2015 13:00

Ravi bc maybe you can help us out... View this post at http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19613140 

seems its actually a ground issue with these laptops not a driver issue.

58 Posts

February 5th, 2015 17:00

I have had all these issues happening several times per day -  dell  15 5547. 

58 Posts

February 8th, 2015 07:00

A couple of things that I tried  did not work.  Last one was today  and laptop lasted for 23 hours at which point much to my surprise it did the same old thing.

Oh well.   I guess time to call DELL.

10 Posts

February 10th, 2015 18:00

I apologize for it taking a couple weeks to get back to you. I had been having decent luck with my mouse until it broke the other day. As I wait for a replacement, I'm stuck with the touchpad which has been acting just awful by itself. I followed the 2 suggestions in the post, and there's been no improvement. I find that after a fresh restart, it will work well for a 5-10 minutes...but then something will go wrong usually as I'm typing, but occasionally even when I'm just clicking with the mouse. The cursor usually just disappears and the touchpad becomes unresponsive. Sometimes it will come back to life, but when it does I've lost scrolling and clicking abilities...and becomes just difficult to use. If it weren't for the touchscreen, my computer would be completely ususeable. Any other things I can try, or is it time to have a tech look into the issue?

58 Posts

February 10th, 2015 18:00

Latest thing I am trying:

1.  Did a refresh (preserves the user's data and settings but re-installs Windows underneath.)

2.  Went to device manager , clicked on display adapters and right clicked for the updated driver software (it found new and updated).

3.   I made sure the Bios was the latest  ( A06) - it should be 

4.  The ONLY drivers I downloaded from the DELL  website were the mouse-touchpad and the Audio.  NOTHING ELSE.

5.  Downloaded  smooth scroll  for chrome  after I installed Chrome

6.  Added the classic shell  for its website

7  Added McAffee  as my antivirus and in Powe Options made sure plan was High Performance

8. Went to mouse and made adjustments to scroll faster.

I have now been working on it for several hours - .

I do not know what it will happen when the windows 8.1 updates get installed 

Attempting a full scan froze the cursor - bu it did come back a minute later

Testing....

58 Posts

February 11th, 2015 17:00

Still no solution

58 Posts

February 13th, 2015 20:00

UPDATE ON FEB 18
Still no solution
-----------------------------------------------------------

1 Message

February 20th, 2015 18:00

I am having the exact same problem, hoping to see a solution posted.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

February 20th, 2015 22:00

Hi chrisojones,

Please perform the steps suggested to mattpsu79 by me in the second post. Let me know how it helps.

58 Posts

February 20th, 2015 23:00

Bought a 1 dollar protective cover from  the dollar store. I am now trying the solution given below:

Posted by deltadell
Verified Answer
Verified by  deltadell

The solution posted by alpha-onezero WORKS!

I bought a cheap mobile phone screen protector (to suit a samsung phone ie. 5") from a $2 shop, cut it to size and simply stuck it on top of my touchpad.

It no longer goes crazy and works normally. It's been 3 days for me so far. Before I put the screen protector it wouldn't work for more than 10-15 minutes before going haywire.

Also I believe this touchpad may be super sensitive to certain peoples' "sweat" What am I talking about? Well my housemate bought one of these laptops himself at the same tiime as me and he never had  the problem with the cursor going crazy. However if I use his laptop it DOES go crazy after a few minutes just like mine. So I think it has something to do with the sweaty/oily hands/fingers some of us  have - it just makes the sensitive touchpad sensors think your finger is still on it after  you use it as you leave some oil behind (it may not  be visible) when you use it.

SOLUTION IS A SIMPLE $2 SCREEN PROTECTOR -- CUT IT TO MATCH THE SIZE OF THE TOUCHPAD, STICK IT ON AND ENJOY A WORKING TOUCHPAD !!!

58 Posts

February 24th, 2015 03:00

test

58 Posts

March 14th, 2015 21:00

03/14/2015   

After  all this time the screen protector has been proven to be the only solution to this weird touchpad problem that affects the inspiron 3000, 4000, 5000, and 7000 series.  I have the  5547.

No Events found!