Highlighted
mattpsu79
1 Nickel

Erratic Mouse/Touchpad Behavior on Inspiron 15 5447

Jump to solution

I've had my laptop for a little over 4 months. I primarily use a wireless mouse with it...and every so often the mouse will take on a mind of its own. I can be typing or even trying to use the mouse and it will start jumping all over the screen on its own...selecting things...even switching/moving windows as if buttons are being pressed as well. At first I thought maybe it was interference with the touchpad...so I've tried both disabling the touchpad when the external mouse is plugged in...and disabling the touchpad altogether and the issue still occurs. So then I thought maybe the mouse is the issue, so at one point when it wents nuts on me, I turned it off and switched over to the touchpad...but the erratic behavior continued. The only thing I can do to fix it is to reboot...and then things are typically okay for several days before the issue starts up again. Any thoughts on what the issue maybe, or troubleshooting tips?

0 Kudos
29 Replies

RE: Erratic Mouse/Touchpad Behavior on Inspiron 15 5447

Jump to solution

Hi mattpsu79,

I would suggest you to update the touchpad drivers on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below and click on ‘Get drivers and downloads’ then download the touchpad driver from ‘Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices’ section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I would advise you to download and install the ‘TouchFreeze’ software from the link below and check for issue resolution.

http://bit.ly/oS0Hd

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
J.merk86
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Ravi bc maybe you can help us out... View this post at http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19613140 

seems its actually a ground issue with these laptops not a driver issue.

0 Kudos
pelosap
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I have had all these issues happening several times per day -  dell  15 5547. 

pelosap
2 Iron

Jump to solution

A couple of things that I tried  did not work.  Last one was today  and laptop lasted for 23 hours at which point much to my surprise it did the same old thing.

Oh well.   I guess time to call DELL.

mattpsu79
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I apologize for it taking a couple weeks to get back to you. I had been having decent luck with my mouse until it broke the other day. As I wait for a replacement, I'm stuck with the touchpad which has been acting just awful by itself. I followed the 2 suggestions in the post, and there's been no improvement. I find that after a fresh restart, it will work well for a 5-10 minutes...but then something will go wrong usually as I'm typing, but occasionally even when I'm just clicking with the mouse. The cursor usually just disappears and the touchpad becomes unresponsive. Sometimes it will come back to life, but when it does I've lost scrolling and clicking abilities...and becomes just difficult to use. If it weren't for the touchscreen, my computer would be completely ususeable. Any other things I can try, or is it time to have a tech look into the issue?

0 Kudos
pelosap
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Latest thing I am trying:

1.  Did a refresh (preserves the user's data and settings but re-installs Windows underneath.)

2.  Went to device manager , clicked on display adapters and right clicked for the updated driver software (it found new and updated).

3.   I made sure the Bios was the latest  ( A06) - it should be 

4.  The ONLY drivers I downloaded from the DELL  website were the mouse-touchpad and the Audio.  NOTHING ELSE.

5.  Downloaded  smooth scroll  for chrome  after I installed Chrome

6.  Added the classic shell  for its website

7  Added McAffee  as my antivirus and in Powe Options made sure plan was High Performance

8. Went to mouse and made adjustments to scroll faster.

I have now been working on it for several hours - .

I do not know what it will happen when the windows 8.1 updates get installed 

Attempting a full scan froze the cursor - bu it did come back a minute later

Testing....

0 Kudos
pelosap
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Still no solution

0 Kudos
pelosap
2 Iron

Jump to solution

UPDATE ON FEB 18
Still no solution
-----------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
chrisojones
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same problem, hoping to see a solution posted.

0 Kudos