Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2013 09:00

Error 2000-0148 on replacement drive

Hi,

After days of online research I recently cloned and replaced the hard drive on my Inspiron 1520 because of consistent error messages. Now I get the 0148 2000-0148 Unit 1:IDE Error status 3E No additional sense info when I run diagnostics at boot up. I can manage to run the computer occasionally (I am composing this message with it) but I am even getting Windows warnings that there is something wrong with the new hard drive. So I am wondering if I made an error when I replaced the HD or if I cloned some error on the old drive that is showing up on the new one. Anyways I don't think there is a physical problem with the new drive,but what do I know?

Anyways any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

• 

3.3K Posts

September 29th, 2013 09:00

Hi ghostsafe,

2000:0148 is a HDD error. This error code means HDD failure. Since it is a new hard drive, check if you can get a replacement drive. In case you purchased it from Dell, send me a private message with the order # to assist you further.

9 Posts

September 29th, 2013 12:00

Funny.

When I run CHKDSK at boot up, it doesn't show any thing wrong.

• 

3.3K Posts

September 30th, 2013 23:00

Hi ghostsafe,

Thank you for the update. I request you to run custom test on HDD. Launch diagnostics by pressing and holding FN key and powering on the computer. The quick test will take around 3-5 minutes. Next Press N for no when it asks you to continue Memory test.

Next the options listed will be: ‘Test Memory’, ‘Test System’ and Exit. Please select ‘Test System’. Then there will be option to run ‘Express test’, ‘Extended Test’, ‘Custom Test’ and ‘Symptom Tree’. Select Custom test and click on HDD and hit enter. This will take a while depending on the HDD size. Reply with the status of the test for further assistance.

9 Posts

October 1st, 2013 21:00

Hi,

I ran the tests and this is what I got:

Device Quick test fail 0F00:013E

Read test  multiple fails 0F00:0244

Seek test fail 0F00:0444

Smart test fail 0F00:123E

Verify test is about 50% completed so far without errors (but I am going to sleep now!)

Thanks!

• 

3.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 06:00

Hi ghostsafe,

Thank you for running the test and providing the exact error message. These failed tests indicate bad sectors on the HDD and it needs replacement.

9 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 17:00

I was afraid of that!

Oh well.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Much appreciated Sujatha,

ghostsafe

No Events found!