Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2014 02:00

Error code 0148, Message error code 2000-0148

Hi,

I've a dell Inspiron 6400, it was working fine since last night i found that i'm unable to use function keys Fn+F2, Fn+Up arrow/Down arrow. I tried pressing MediaDirect button near power button but it said to install media direct software on machine. After repeated attempts to install MediaDirect from CDs provided by Dell,  i couldn't fix it. I tried using disgnostics by tapping F12 on booting.

I encountered error code 0148, message error code 2000-0148, Message unit 2: IDE error: status 2D No additional sense information.

What is the meaning of this error and what should i do to fix it. Rest of the things are perfect with my machine except using Function keys. Please suggest.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2014 08:00

Hi Singhtinnu,

That error indicates a drive failure, but unit 2 does not sound like the hard drive to me. Here's what I suggest you do. Go HERE to download the Dell diagnostics. When you run the download, you'll be prompted to insert a CD or flash drive and it will create a bootable CD or flash drive from which you can boot the system and run the diagnostics. Perform the test on your hard drive to see if it's working properly.

5 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 22:00

I tried using diagnostics tool by tapping F12 and found the error as under:-

Error code 0148

Message error code 2000-0148

Message unit 2 : IDE error : status 29. No additional sense information.

Earlier I posted status as 2D but correct digit is 29. In Message unit 2 line above.

While diagnostics I found test stopped while it was scanning CD-ROM optical device built in self-test. It further wrote while scan was on in diagnostics on the right side of screen, “Hard drive DST short test, Test Result:- Running, CD ROM Test.

As I’m not very technical I just defined about what I could note down on paper.

I did try downloading dell diagnostics but was unable to download on CD or computer or flash drive. If you want me I’ll try again and scan HDD thru CD or flash drive by setting CD ROM or flash drive first in booting sequence thru BIOS. I just wrote to clarify error I’m facing which I wrote as 2D but whereas it is 29.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 23rd, 2014 03:00

You need a new, 2.5" SATA notebook hard drive - 7- or 9.5 mm in height.

5 Posts

January 30th, 2014 09:00

Mr. Osprey, You didn't reply , are you busy?

No Events found!