Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

June 23rd, 2006 23:00

Execute Disable Bit: None or Off? (D620)

Getting ready to buy a D620, and there is no explanation on the ordering page about what "none" or "off" mean. I have searched these boards, dell.com, the web, UseNet, and while I find some explanations of what Execute Disable Bit is, no mention of "none" or "off"

Any help would be appreciated. I am guessing this is simply a default they set in the BIOS, and can be changed?

Thanks!

June 26th, 2006 14:00

Execute Disable Bit is an Intel Technology. 

From Intel's website:

Intel's Execute Disable BitΦ functionality can help prevent certain classes of malicious buffer overflow attacks when combined with a supporting operating system.

Execute Disable Bit allows the processor to classify areas in memory by where application code can execute and where it cannot. When a malicious worm attempts to insert code in the buffer, the processor disables code execution, preventing damage and worm propagation.

Replacing older computers with Execute Disable Bit-enabled systems can halt worm attacks, reducing the need for virus-related repairs. In addition, Execute Disable Bit may eliminate the need for software patches aimed at buffer overflow attacks. By combining Execute Disable Bit with anti-virus, firewall, spyware removal, e-mail filtering software, and other network security measures, IT managers can free IT resources for other initiatives.

5 Posts

June 26th, 2006 14:00

I appreciate the response, I should have been more clear in my question. I understand what it does, but the config option on Dell's site only offers these 2 choices: none or off. There is no explanation provided.

This seems odd, what is the difference between none and off?

Thanks!

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2006 16:00

FYI I finally gave in and called Dell to ask, the sales rep told me that the default is for the XD Bit set to on. "None" means that they leave it that way (on), "Off" means that they set it to off. Not the clearest communication I have ever seen, but I suppose it does follow its own bizarre logic in a way.

Just wanted to pass this along, in the hopes that it will help someone else...
No Events found!