Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2017 23:00

Experiencing overheat issues with my XPS 13 9360 since updating to BIOS 1.3.2

I recently updated to the 1.3.2 firmware (based on the Urgent severity) for my 9360. Ever since then I have been seeing messages like this (I do run linux, but that should not have bearing on this issue):

[ 2403.008691] CPU1: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1)

[ 2403.008691] CPU3: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1)
[ 2403.008693] CPU0: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1)
[ 2403.008693] CPU2: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1)
[ 2403.008695] CPU3: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1)
[ 2403.008697] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[ 2403.008700] CPU1: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1)
[ 2403.008701] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

Fan activity seems also to be reduced, but that is only my perception, not based on actual measurement. I do not recall getting these messages prior to the bios update.

Would welcome any suggestions as to how to resolve this. Unfortunately I cannot revert to the previous BIOS version as Dell does not seem to offer downloads of the older BIOS versions.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 9th, 2017 06:00

What software is generating those results? Does the Dell ePSA (Enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment) diagnostics show any failures?

* Power off, then on
* Tap F12 key repeatedly during system startup (at the Dell logo screen) until the BIOS Boot Menu appears on the screen
* On the Boot Menu screen, select Diagnostics option, and then press Enter

3 Posts

February 9th, 2017 22:00

Ran the diagnostics this evening, no errors reported. I didn't run the memory test but as it's not a memory issue, that shouldn't matter.

22 Posts

February 10th, 2017 01:00

you probably need to service your laptop. you can search on how to open up your model on youtube and you can use a blower to clean out the dust in the fan and heatsink. and you will also need to change the thermal paste on the processor. you can buy those from an IT store or hardware store(it looks like a syringe with a paste inside). you can do this yourself or take it to a technician or someone who knows how to. hope this will solve your problem.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 10th, 2017 07:00

Hamza,

I think that this is good advice for a system 2 years old and older. But the XPS 13 9360 just came out in 2016. So I do not think that it applies. Plus, the issue only arose after installing the latest system BIOS.

javmorin,

Dell will need to research this and create another BIOS update to correct the issues caused by this BIOS update. This will take time.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2017 08:00

Hamza: Thanks for the suggestion, but as Chris notes, the machine is fairly new (and clean), and this error started occurring with the new BIOS, it was not occurring previously - hence my report.

Chris: Thanks for pushing the case upstream. I strongly suspect a change in the fan profile, but luckily (and a bit oddly) I only see the error about once per session, not continuously. Not sure what that is about, but hopefully means the damage is minimized.

No Events found!