Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2012 09:00

Extend to 3 monitor displays on Dell E6430

How can we extend to 3 monitor displays i.e. One laptop screen and two monitors attached to the docking station; 1 in VGA Port and other in DVI port.

I can get it to extend it to two screens but the third one always gets disconnected.

Is it possible to get this done by using some graphics driver update or is it more of a hardware feature?

System Info:
Dell E6430
64 bit Win 7 
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (this is show on two displays in dxdiag)

September 10th, 2014 11:00

Optimus in the Bios... THAT DID IT!  

I had three monitors before (two external and the laptop's display) and then somehow it got turned off.  I had to take my laptop away from my desk for a week and when I came back, only combinations of two screens at a time were available.

But I played with the Nvidia driver settings, but I think the real change came when I went into the Bios and activated Optimus.  Then I used Screen Resolution to activate three screens and it worked perfectly! 

Thanks so much, everyone!

Mike

14 Posts

September 11th, 2014 08:00

hi Mike,

when i took my laptop out of docking station, then put it back in just yesterday, the optimus somehow was disabled in my bios too.  i have 3 external monitors, but when optimus was disabled i could only get one external to work. 

weird huh?

• 

3.3K Posts

November 15th, 2012 10:00

Hi dushyantp,

At one point of time only two screens can have display. There is no option to add a third external monitor.

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 13:00

Hi guys,

But why only two screens are supported? Intel says in HD4000 specs that it can run 3 displays (2xDisplayPort + 1x other). Can E6430 + Advanced Dock run 2 DisplayPort monitors + internal screen?

Regards,

saimek

2 Posts

November 29th, 2012 12:00

I'll answer to myself.

Latitude E6430 (Intel HD4000) + advanced dock (USB 2.0 version) + 2x Sapphire Active DisplayPort to DVI Adapters + 2x Samsung SM245B monitors (1920x1200) and it's working without any problems. Internal + 2 external displays are active and working.

saimek

1 Message

December 7th, 2012 16:00

Do you happen to know the graphics card you are using as well as the driver version you are using. I am having the same issue where i can see 3 monitors but the 3rd keeps getting disconnected. I did not want to buy the dp to dvi adapters until I know it will work.

Thanks

3 Posts

February 11th, 2013 13:00

I do knot know if you got this working but I had the same issue and got it resolved today.  I had to enable "Optimus" in the BIOS.  When I did that, the system technically had two video cards.  I had one external monitor use a Dell DisplayPort connection while the other two used VGA + DVI.

With this setup, I think one monitor was using the Intel HD 4000 and the other two were using the nVidia.  Not sure its what I exactly wanted but it gets the job done.

1 Message

February 13th, 2013 07:00

Hey Wuzzles, I looked through the BIOS and I didn't see any option for 'Optimus' is that only for users with the nVidia card?? I don't believe my machine has that, just the stock Intel 4000.

14 Posts

July 9th, 2013 11:00

thanks wuzzles!  i didnt realize I had to enable optimus.  i have been trying to get this done for months!  with a port replicator and enabling optimus I now have 3 external monitors and the laptop monitor all working simultaneously!  I have one 2560 x1600 via dual link DVI-D, one 1600 x 1050 via single DVI-D, one 1400 x900 via VGA, and the laptop monitor which is the 1360 x 768 that came with this laptop.  I have a dell 6430.  Thanks for posting this...I finally got this after mucho research :)

6 Posts

July 19th, 2013 10:00

Saimek,

Does the old docking station have two display ports? I have the 3.0 and it only has one so I'm wondering how you used to display port to dvi adapters?

14 Posts

July 19th, 2013 10:00

I have a new docking station...and yes it has two displayport (2 displayport, 2 DVI, 1 vga).  i do have to use a displayport to dual-link DVI adapter.  I can not get the Dell docking station to work directly with Dual-link DVI...

14 Posts

July 19th, 2013 11:00

The docking station i have is the current 331-6304 found on Dell's website.  It is new as new can be.  It has 2 DisplayPort monitor connections, 2 DVI-D monitor connections, and one VGA monitor connection.  so in actuality there are 5 monitor display connections.  But I can only get three of them working at any one time.  and the 4th is my laptop monitor.  I have HD4000...AND  Nvidia card, running Optimus.  So like wuzzles said, two video cards are running simultaneously.  I have Three external monitors and my laptop monitor all running simultaneously...  All different makes and models.  One is Dual link DVI connection (using an active DisplayPort adapter) one is using DVI and one is using VGA...and laptop uses no external connection :/

6 Posts

July 19th, 2013 11:00

Thanks. The newest docking station only has one display port though it is 1.2 which says it can daisy chain monitors though I have found nothing about that online with the Intel HD4000 integrated graphics. Could you clarify whether your computer has the Intel HD4000 integrated or the NVIDIA discreet graphics and if both your external monitors are the same make and model? Thanks again.

6 Posts

July 19th, 2013 12:00

Thanks for clarifying. I have the 331-6307 which has only one display port.

14 Posts

July 19th, 2013 12:00

I was thinking of getting the 331-6307.  It is a little cheaper.  I was wondering if the displayport, the DVI, and the VGA would work simutaneously usisng Optimus with that replicator.

Have you tried the dvi port on that replicator?  it is supposed to be "dual-link"  just like the ones on the 331-6304...but I can't get "dual-link" to work on mine.  I ordered this whole system based on being able to connect my 2560 x1600 directly on "dual-link" DVI and the specs say it is "dual-link", but it is not.  I had sales people, tech support, on-line chat all assure me this would work prior to purchasing, and now I have to buy a $100 DisplayPort active adapter on top of it all.  I am pissed at DELL and I think I should be compensated somehow for the mis-information.

No Events found!