Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2014 10:00

External CD/DVD drive?

Not sure if I goofed during purchase or if the just arrived Dell Inspiron 7000 normally comes without a CD/DVD drive. Nonetheless, I need to purchase a USB/external unit for those instances when needed.

I don't know which manufacturers are best and which to stay away from and what should be considered an acceptable transfer speed. The device will be used 99% for program install, infrequent archiving, reading other's data. Blu-ray is unnecessary.

It'd be great (I know my wife would appreciate it) if the device was available in aluminum to match the laptop.

(The Dell drive that had excellent reviews is no longer available)

Mark

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

May 16th, 2014 09:00

Hi Markg22b,

Thanks for your post. Depending on your region there are a couple of options that might be suitable for you.

Visually the LG SP60NB50 is a great looking drive:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Highlights

•  Allows for a sleek companion to thin Ultrabooks and enhanced portability

•  Features M-DISC uses a patent rock-like recording surface instead of organic dye to etch your data onto a disc

Overview

The overall slim design optimizes space for the slim OPU installation. It allows for a sleek companion to thin Ultrabooks and enhanced portability. The M-DISC uses a patent rock-like recording surface instead of organic dye to etch your data onto a disc.

The Dell USB Ultra Slim drive still appears to be available from dell.com:   

Highlights

• Low-profile (14.1 mm) and lightweight (less than 250 g1), the Dell External USB Ultra Slim DVD+/-RW Drive is convenient for almost any work space.
  • plug-and-play simplicity, all you need is a USB port.

Overview

The Dell™ External Ultra Slim Slot Drive offers you a disc playing and burning solution for your ultrabook without the hassle of permanent weight or bulk, allowing you to use it when you need it, and leave it when you don’t. This device also features the convenience of slot-loading, which reduces the amount of moving parts and space taken when using the drive. Moreover, the USB-powered device makes it easy to use your drive through your USB port, eliminating the need for batteries or a power cord. You can simply plug in the drive to an open USB port in your computer and get started using the drive without the need to install any software. Its small size and lightweight of the drive makes it easy to toss in your bag and take it with you on the go. The small size is also convenient for storing on your shelf or in your desk.

More options here:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&s=bsd&cs=04&category_id=5687

Hope it helps!

4 Posts

May 17th, 2014 07:00

Thanks for the quick response.

I have several questions and I'll # them for tracking purposes:

Regarding the Dell vs. LG device you offered--

1. Do both come with a USB cord (only 1 shows the cord in the picture)?

2. Do both have the media insertion method of 'no slide out drawer' vs. 'just stick the disk in'?

3. Do either or both come with a protective carry cover?

4. I'm almost positive that when I checked the Dell device on your website the Inspiron 7000 series was not listed among the compatible Dell laptops?

5. Was it my ordering error or did this machine have the ability of having the drive internal?

Thanks,

Mark

4 Posts

May 21st, 2014 09:00

Shawn, you haven't answered my questions from last week that I posted?

Mark

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

May 21st, 2014 10:00

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply, in response to your questions:

1. The Dell drive is listed to include a USB cable but not the LG, Check out the ‘Tech Specs’ tab for full details.

2. The Dell Drive = Slot, and the LG Drive = Tray. But there are different models from each manufacturer if you are looking for something specific.  http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&s=bsd&cs=04&category_id=5687

3. No carry case is listed for either drive.

4. The Dell Drive is listed as compatible with the, Inspiron 14 (7437), Inspiron 15 (7537) both 7000 series Inspirons (17’’ being capable of incorporating an optical drive in the system its self).

5. The 14/15 inch 7000 series do not have the ability to include an optical drive in the build like the larger 17 inch system can.

Our Sales team can be engaged by Phone/Email or Chat for purchasing questions: http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/category/Contact-Information/Sales

Hope it helps, 

Thanks!

No Events found!