BGlines
2 Iron

External USB HDD not detecting on Inspiron 9300

This wasn't an issue until Dell's automated software update process got it's way. Nothing has changed on my machine aside from the Dell updates they force upon us.

I have an external HDD (60 gig 9mm, hdd USB 2.0 connection, USB powered) that I've always used to save important data on. Up until a week ago, it was detected and accessed via my Inspiron 9300 with no problems.

Now, Windows will beep when the drive is connected to the laptop via USB 2.0 cable. (like it detects it). But no "external hardware detected", "mass storage device detected" "etc" message from Windows. I can't access the drive via explorer, my computer, etc. Windows doesn't even allow me to try and see if the drive is recognized via the "devices" control panel. Infact, any attempt to open "My Computer" or "Explorer" causes the machine to clock and basically lock up.

This used to work fine. The drive is fine as my Dell Dimension and other OEM machines detect it and access it fine. Just the Inspiron won't... Plus, the inspiron will detect USB flash drives just fine.

Does Dell do anything funky with filters, etc in the registry for it's USB bus? I found this was the problem to the NEC DVD drive problem.. Maybe the same here.

Any ideas?

What I've tried:
Uninstalling and reinstalling the USB bus drivers.
Resetting the BIOS USB emulation to active/default setting
(dell support walked me though this but it wasn't anything other than default
anyways)

Dell support jumped on the same old bandwagon and wanted a complete system restore before hearing about the problem...

Any help would be apppreciated!

Brett Glines
Inspiron 9300
Pentium 4M 2.13ghz
2 gig RAM
256 Meg NVidia video
100 gig HDD

"The media is right, Dell support is seriously lacking due to language barriers. Too bad Dell can't even get their service contracts right, in English, as any call into support (on a 3 year purchased support contract) turns into a referral to the "Oncall" pay for support line."

Message Edited by BGlines on 12-29-2005 04:40 PM

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bacillus
6 Gallium

Re: External USB HDD not detecting on Inspiron 9300

do you know which updates were made?
0 Kudos
BGlines
2 Iron

I wish I knew exactly what date the updates even occurred as I would roll back to the prior windows check point but I just have a time frame...  So I don't know the exact updates.  Paint updated, RecordNow updated as well as several others. 

If anyone knew the keyname for the usb bus entries in the registry I would hack at it a little but I can't get close enough to identifying the USB bus...  Should be in Local_Machine/system/CurrentControlSet/enum....  

I'm going to back up the registry and try a couple of changes.  It can't do any worse that the complete system restore that India (er..  i mean Dell) requested I do.

When  Tech support has you open the Windows Phone Dialer application to try and troubleshoot a USB problem, you know there is a problem with the quality of support!!!!!

0 Kudos
Tboy21
1 Copper

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tboy21
1 Copper

You probably need Data Recovery...

0 Kudos