Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 23rd, 2009 18:00

External Video Cards

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a Radeon Xpress 1150 128mb.  I was looking to upgrade my laptop's performance and extend its useful life.

I figured out that I can't upgrade the card in the laptop since it's integrated into the mother board.

That's when I stumbled across these new fangled external video cards.... I was wondering if I got my hands on one of these would I essentially be like having a 256mb or a 512mb graphics card?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2009 19:00

The only external video card that was announced was the ASUS XG Station, which was over two years ago and never shipped as a finished product.  Presumably, ASUS isn't going to release one -- too much time has passed and it's still vaporware, so the answer to your question is that you can't upgrade the video externally OR internally - if you need better video, you need  a new system.

34 Posts

September 23rd, 2009 19:00

I've seen XG Station on Ebay and on ASUS' official website...also I have seen other brands and products claiming to be external video cards.

3 Posts

September 24th, 2009 01:00

You might want to look at this site: http://www.villagetronic.com/vidock2/index.html

They are currently in the market and look good, but are quite expensive, and have some compatability issues (noted on their site). There are also some reviews available on the web. I am considering them as an option for adding good graphics capability to a thin/light notebook with integrated graphics card. If anyone knows anything more about them, I too would be glad to hear about it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 24th, 2009 04:00

The Vidock2 is the first apparently shipping external solution I've seen. The XG Station never shipped as a purchasable product.

For the cost of the Vidock 2 and potential issues, you'd probably be better off buying a desktop system to go with your notebook.

No Events found!