Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2012 17:00

External microphone not working

Hi, I have a XPS 15 (L502x) running Windows 7, but I can't seem to make an external microphone work. The internal mic is working fine, and I have tested the external mic in other machines and it is working fine. What can I do?

5 Posts

December 17th, 2012 15:00

Was this using the stock drivers that came with the machine? With mine it detects that I have plugged in the combo cable and I select the headset option. However, at that point the internal microphone keeps on working and the external one is never enabled. There must be some way of doing this.

5 Posts

December 17th, 2012 16:00

That is frustrating as I already have the latest drivers installed and it just doesn't work :emotion-6:

Does the plug on your headset look the same as the one in the picture further up this thread or are there more/fewer sections?

6 Posts

December 17th, 2012 16:00

I believe I updated drivers to whatever is current from Dell. I didn't use a combo-cable, it was a headset with a single combo-jackstick.

For my use I needed a stereo input, so I've resorted to a usb-soundcard. I must admit I find that disappointing for a Dell top-model.

5 Posts

December 18th, 2012 12:00

Found the problem (in my case). The splitter plug I bought from Amazon UK was called a Headset Buddy is slightly too short to cause the internal mike to be disabled and the external one activated. So, wasted money on the adapter I bought but at least I know the laptop is OK. Will have to try a different brand of cable.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 18th, 2012 17:00

The splitter plug I bought from Amazon UK was called a Headset Buddy is slightly too short to cause the internal mike to be disabled and the external one activated. So, wasted money on the adapter

The Headset Buddy company in the USA has a one year unconditional guarantee. Check with your company  in the UK to see if they do too. The Headset Buddy is supposed to work with all laptops that have a combo jack so the warranty should cover it if yours doesn't.

A general note to others: be sure to get the Headset Buddy with 4 segments in the plug,  NOT THIS ONE with 3 segments:

THIS (below) IS THE ONE WITH THE 4 SEGMENTS:

1 Message

June 9th, 2013 05:00

I have just bought an Inspiron 15 and I don't seem to be able to record using Audacity (vinyl to mp3 via a standard turntable and amp).

I used to have a 6400 with a separate line in jack and had no issues.

Does your post mean I won't be able to?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 9th, 2013 05:00

I have just bought an Inspiron 15 and I don't seem to be able to record using Audacity (vinyl to mp3 via a standard turntable and amp).

Hello. Dell sells 11 models under the name "Inspiron 15", so without knowing your full model name it is hard to say. I thought that most of the Inspiron 15 line had 2 audio jacks, but if your specific model only has a combo jack then you cannot record stereo through it, only mono which would be okay if you are recording old mono records, but you would need a Headset Buddy to make the connection between the amp and the combo port.

To record stereo line-in you need to get a usb audio interface, or if you are still within the brief return period you might want to consider getting a different model.

2 Posts

June 10th, 2013 12:00

I also have an L521x and after reading this post, purchased the Headset Buddy pictured, with the four jack segments, and cannot get an external microphone to work.  Anyone having any luck?

5 Posts

June 10th, 2013 15:00

No, I was sent a replacement by the manufacturer (free of charge, great service) but unfortunately this didn't work either. Now use a USB cable.

77 Posts

June 13th, 2014 23:00

Same problem here, albeit on a Dell Inspiron 11 3137. Headset Buddy with 4 segmented 3.5mm plug. Audio works, but microphone doesn't.

I also tested it on my cell phone too. Same issue.

Not sure if it's worth my time trying to get it replaced from the manufacturer...

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 14th, 2014 06:00

In the future I might mention that the Headset Buddy has been an unreliable choice for many who have tried it, and that one could get a headset with a TRRS plug for the same price. People who already have an expensive gaming headset with dual TRS plugs might want to try the HB anyway.

August 28th, 2014 23:00

Actually i have a problem with my mic. Although before that in window 7 it is working. My computer configration is core 2 with enough capacity of Ram. Having a good Hard disk space. But mic is not working. 

77 Posts

August 29th, 2014 03:00

I sent my Headset Buddy back to the manufacturer and got a full refund (less shipping). By the way, when inserting something into the jack, I discovered it matters much what I click on in the audio driver pop-up dialog that appears (Windows 7, Dell Inspiron 11). "Headset" will switch audio and mic away from the built-in speakers and camera mic, to the external plugged in device. "Headphones" only switches over the audio from the internal laptop speakers to the external device. The active mic is still seen by the OS as the built-in mic near the webcam (might be a pair of directional mic holes).

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 29th, 2014 05:00

Actually i have a problem with my mic. Although before that in window 7 it is working. My computer configration is core 2 with enough capacity of Ram. Having a good Hard disk space. But mic is not working. 

You switched operating systems from Windows 7 to Windows 8/8.1? Did you install an audio driver for the new operating system? If you did not install an audio driver then your laptop is using the Windows native audio driver. The native audio driver does not support the external mic jack.

If you need more help please supply the following information:

1. the full model name of your laptop.

2. the version of Windows you are using now.

3. Whether you are having a problem with the internal mic or the jack mic.

1 Message

September 11th, 2014 11:00

I was able to get this to work by installing R2.75 drivers directly from realitek.  Look under "Downloads/High Definition audio codecs" on their main site.

No Events found!