Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

June 16th, 2017 01:00

Extreme battery drain -sleep mode- Dell Latitude 5289

We have two new Latitude 5289's and when in sleep mode the battery is drained abnormal. It happens for both of these new laptops.

The battery seems to be drained even faster than when you are using the laptop.

Does anybody have the same experience or a fix?

Cheers

9.4K Posts

June 16th, 2017 05:00

Hi KBolderman,

Thanks for posting.

In sleep mode the computer still uses power and will drain the battery if not connected to the charger.  It's really not a good idea to leave a computer in sleep mode for long periods of time because it does drain the battery.  Here is some information you may find helpful: http://dell.to/2swLXIk

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2017 17:00

@DELL-Robert P , respectfully, this isn't an answer because the user is reporting that the laptop consumes MORE power when in sleep mode. This is most likely due to the fact that the computer is not successfully entering sleep mode, which is the exact problem I have. There is apparently a bios setting that prevents the computer from entering sleep mode, so the computer continues to run, and when you put it in a backpack to transport, it will get extremely HOT. I am trying to find that setting, but it is NOT the "block sleep" setting (that is unchecked).

June 26th, 2017 01:00

I have now set these laptops to hibernate mode instead of sleep mode, but I am pretty sure it needs to be fixed by Dell with the driver updates.

My users are also travelling like MoPi70 and the battery is completely drained once they get the laptop out of their bags.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 26th, 2017 07:00

You could try running a Sleep Study to see if it would yield any clues.  After you run the command the resulting html file will be stored in a location and needs to be copied to the desktop to open.

There are videos from Microsoft describing how to read these and I have some experience although mine has a system which does Modern Standby.  Let us know if you need help with the report.

Open and Admin command prompt and type:

powercfg /sleepstudy

2 Posts

June 29th, 2017 13:00

This is a corporate laptop. Any corp worth it's salt doesn't give admin access to normal users. Since the sleep study requires admin access, then this issue is more serious than a simple setting and should be escalated to the people who manage contracts with Dell. Incidentally: we've deployed 100s of dell laptops in a pilot, and not ONE user has been able to sleep their laptop.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 29th, 2017 13:00

Your folks aren't admin users?  I suppose I would not consider a person who was responsible for a system to be a normal user, but I have never worked in that environment.

828 Posts

July 3rd, 2017 12:00

Have you loaded additional software of these systems or are they out of the box?   We're not seeing this in the quality data for this platform, so wondering if there is a specific application installed on your devices that is causing the problem.   Thanks.

July 4th, 2017 00:00

We have 250 Dell laptops within our company running the pretty much the same software, only these two new laptops (Dell Latitude 5289) are having this battery consuming sleep problem.

I will try to get my hands on one of these and run the sleepstudy

July 4th, 2017 00:00

Saltgrass is right. He's not asking your users to run sleepstudy. He's asking whoever is responsible for the smooth operation of the IT equipment in your company to run sleepstudy. I am assuming that is you MoPi70. It does however sound like your laptops are not sleeping at all, which, if not showing as a widespread problem in Dell's data could mean that whatever corporate software you have loaded may be at fault,

August 16th, 2017 02:00

Hi JNXU,

You might want to try to disable the Windows 10 feature 'Save power when my device knows I'm away', my end user reported that this might be the cause of the problem.

I can't confirm it yet tho, I guess it's worth a try!

Best regards,

Kevin

4 Posts

August 16th, 2017 02:00

Having similar problems with that Device.

Found out that "Connected Standby" is causing that problems.

unfortunately turning it off, does cause new problems.

Have you figured out some fix, yet?

4 Posts

August 16th, 2017 06:00

Thanks Kevin,

I just tried out, but haven't found that option yet - but i guess this should be only checkable if cortana is activated, right?

By default Cortana is turned off in out company (also a change of the energy-saving options is disabled by policy)

No Events found!