Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2017 14:00

F11 and F12 (Brightness keys) not working

The brightness keys on my laptop are not working. When I click on the F12 key, it shows on the bar that it's increasing, but my screen's brightness is actually not increasing/decreasing. I've tried several methods, but nothing seems to work. I tried uninstalling and re-installing my device adapter that didn't solve it. Some suggested enabling/disabling the Fn key; I normally don't use the Fn key to increase brightness so I couldn't try that option. Every key/action that controls brightness does not work. Is there a solution or is this permanent? Thanks for your help. 

P.S. I use Dell Inspiron 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2017 16:00

What system model (Inspiron N5110, 5521, L411z, etc.) and what OS and version (i.e., WIndows 7 64 bit, etc.)?

Have you reinstalled the OS at any point?

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2018 11:00

i use Dell inspiron 5459 and i have the same problem. please help

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 2nd, 2018 11:00

Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Change plan settings (for your active plan) > Change advanced settings > Display > Enable adaptive brightness.  Make sure that's set to Off.

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 10:00

it was set to off. but still its not working.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 11:00

Try going into the BIOS and seeing if you can adjust the brightness there. That would at least suggest whether this is a hardware or OS/driver issue. I think most if not all systems have an LCD brightness setting in the BIOS.

No Events found!