Highlighted
yoyo12345
1 Copper

FIX-for choppy/stuttering sounds and video (those w/ TS-L462C Cd rom/burner)

I've had the above problem for several months and the only way it seemed to go away was to disable the cd player. Finally, I think I figured out what was wrong--I had flashed the burner with the latest firmware-ver 07-and I had nothing but stuttering since-I tried all the other recs-reinstall IDE controllers, make sure things are DMA, renistall sound drivers etc, even completely overhauling the OS but no go. So for those in same boat, here's a definite way I fixed it:

either:
1. keep a cd in the drive at all times or

2. upgrade the firmware w/ samsung (which is the maker of the burner) firmware:
dl this: http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Information/Application/Application.asp (which is the firmware upgrade app)

then this firmware (it's in Korean, just choose the TG00): http://www.samsungodd.com/kor/LiveUpdate/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?product_code=&language_code=&SearchMode=TOTALSEARCH&SearchWord=TS-L462C&image1.x=33&image1.y=10

then run the app w/ -nocheck option to disable the "not compatible" message and flash away.

When you're done, you should have full functioning cd rom/burner w/o the stuttering/choppiness. If you crossflash, you'll prolly invalidate your cdrom warrenty, but dell 07 firmware breaks your system anyways, so pick your poison...
0 Kudos
32 Replies
bacillus
5 Osmium

Re: FIX-for choppy/stuttering sounds and video (those w/ TS-L462C Cd rom/burner)

interesting fix...
0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Re: FIX-for choppy/stuttering sounds and video (those w/ TS-L462C Cd rom/burner)

Good tip!

What model Inspiron is it?

Jim

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
yoyo12345
1 Copper

it's a little extreme, but i haven't found anything else that works (short of not updating your cd burner firmware in the first place)--using a inspirion 6000 w/ sigmatel sound card...

i think it's basically the cd burner's dell's 07 firmware that caused my problems.

Message Edited by yoyo12345 on 08-21-200608:27 PM

0 Kudos
Kasziel
1 Copper

That's a fine solution, assuming the system will let you flash the firmware back. I keep getting errors that the firmware from the Samsung site isn't compativle with my drive. And I get the same error when trying to flash back to D04. Any other suggestions?

Chris
0 Kudos
Kasziel
1 Copper

Please ignore my last post... I missed the '-nocheck' option in your initial post. It appears that the flash to the Samsung firmware has worked.

Thanks for the tip.

Chris
0 Kudos
yoyo12345
1 Copper

did it fix your choppiness too?

Message Edited by yoyo12345 on 08-26-200612:27 AM

0 Kudos
Kasziel
1 Copper

Yes, I can now play any MP3, wav, etc files without having to have a CD or DVD in the drive. Of course the real pain is that just before I did this, I restored back to factory original in desperation. That didn't solve it so I decided to try the flash to the Toshiba firmware instead.

Chris
0 Kudos
abdjones
1 Copper

I ended up with the problem on my Inspiron 6000, and the suggested fix in this thread did indeed correct the problem.  I had created numerous red-herrings on my machine as the disk drive had failed approximately a month ago and in the process and restoring the OS, I upgraded all firmware and drivers on the laptop to latest levels.  Until reading this thread, I was focusing on the interaction of the new disk drive (Toshiba) with the laptop as it was a completely different drive than the drive originally shipped (Fujitsu).

Jeff

0 Kudos
abdjones
1 Copper

As a bit of a follow-up, the firmware change also corrected another problem I had with not being able to read a data CD that was burned on another machine.  The CD read just fine on numerous other machines, but would not read in the TS-L462C Cd/DVD with the DE07 firmware.  After making the change to the firmware, this CD now reads correctly.

Jeff
0 Kudos