Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2012 17:00

FN + F3 Disable Touchpad does not work. Dell XPS L702X

Hello, I'm new in this forum.

The function FN + F3 that disable the Touchpad does not work, my laptop is Dell XPS 17 ( L702X )

I searched for my problem and the only thing I found was this: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19454265.aspx

I think my problems with the touchpad began when I connected a mouse to the USB port. It didn't work (it worked well before), and in control panel-hardware and sound-mouse , the system asked me to uninstal some driver or whatever. I don't remember, but later the mouse was working.

After that weird thing with the mouse, I noted that the touchpad was working bad. While I am writing, the cursor moves without touching the touchpad, it's annoying because it makes me write wrong because it moves to the middle of the writing while I am writing so it's a mess.

The second weird thing, the Fn + F3 doesn't disable the touchpad, the orange light turns on (the light on the top of the touchpad) but the cursor can be moved anyway, with and without a mouse connected.

I checked for driver updates, run a system check, checked for viruses, spywares, and I don't know what else I could do. I don't know if the problem with the mouse had anything to do with the problem with que Fn+F3 function.

I have not formatted or re installed windows 7, never.

In the Device Manager I have this: 

- mice and other pointing devices: - PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Please help. Thanks.

March 10th, 2013 08:00

Thanks a lot, your answer worked very good for me. Now the touchpad disables and a notification appears on the task bar.

The movement of the cursor is faster now but I think I can adjust it somewhere in the pointer options.

Thanks again.

1 Message

March 13th, 2013 03:00

Beautiful!!!!

I was having the same problem between the two said pieces of hardware.

1. Ran the file at C:\Drivers\input\R305170\Vi64 DellTPad.exe
  2. Disabled the Touch pad using Fn+f3
  3. <ADMIN NOTE: Sustitute character  removed as per TOU> of the said problem between the two hardwares.

Solved!

2 Posts

March 13th, 2013 12:00

does not work for me. Still the same issue. The orange light turns on but the pad is not disabled...

March 13th, 2013 21:00

The solution for me was this:

C:\dell\drivers\R289237

Run the Synaptics executeable file.

I didn't try the solution proposed by "rahul_does" because I solve the problem with the previous answer.  

2 Posts

March 13th, 2013 23:00

The solution for me was this:

C:\dell\drivers\R289237

Run the Synaptics executeable file.

Worked perfectly for me, thanks a lot. (scrolling is working again too, and F3 button is disabling the pad correctly)

1 Message

April 12th, 2013 11:00

I was having the same problem with the cursor repositioning when my wrist got close to the touchpad ... extremely bothersome and aggravating ... adversely affecting my quality documents and emails. Using Win 7 on Dell XPS L702 laptop.

I ran across a partial solution that I haven't seen addressed in this forum stream...

After reinstalling the R289237 driver, I went to Mouse properties (click on Mouse in Control Panel). Went to the on Device Settings (that had been added with the revised driver), clicked the "Synaptics TouchPad Vx.x" device, clicked on "Disable" button. That finally disabled the touchpad. I did not previously have access to this tab and the Disable button. That's great.

However, the Fn+F3 disable/enable still does not function at all ...

Gotta be a bug in the Dell synaptics driver, or I suspect that my external USB driver for Logitech mouse could somehow be overriding the Fn+F3 functionality. In any case, there is still some unique condition that either Dell or Dell+Logitech should patch to resolve the software/firmware glitch.

1 Message

May 12th, 2013 15:00

Hello I've got an Inspiron N5040.  

This jumping cursor seems to be endemic with all your models based on the multitude of posts on the topics.  

NONE of your fixes work.  The driver reinstalls automatically upon reboot with Windows 7.  And there is NO access to a Disable Touchpad function on this model. 

Really, really poor design.  Why don't you release a service pack with a fix?  I really regret buying this laptop, it's useless with this horrible touchpad.

2 Posts

May 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi, guys, got solution for disable touchpad in win 8

commweb-ps3.us.dell.com/.../20224781.aspx

Try with m0us3's way, I add more infos in his steps

First step.

Take synaptic distributive for win7 from dell.com for l702x which is "R289237", then unpacked it by 7z arhciver. take WinWDF/x64/ folder, and edited synpd.inf in it.

Added string

%PS2.SynDeviceDesc% = Dell_GROUP19_PS2_Inst,*DLL0571

on "Manufacturer Sections", in [SynMfg.NTamd64] section.

Second step.

I deleted synTP.cat. Then via inf2cat from windows driver frameworks, downloaded from microsoft.com, i made new  a new cat-file. (I still even didn't sure, that it's important).

You download Windows Driver Kit (WDK) 8 from msdn.microsoft.com/.../gg463268.aspx

After install Windows Driver Kit (WDK) 8,   use this command:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\bin\x64>Inf2Cat.exe /driver:C:\Dell\Drivers\R289237\WinWDF\x64\ /os:7_X64

this command will make a new synTP.cat file

Third step.

Can be used any guide "How to install an unsigned driver on Windows 8". I rebooted my PC to turn off the driver sign check.

Then -  "upgrade driver" - find driver manually - choose driver from list of installed drivers - turn off "only compatible devices" - press button "install from drive" - then i choose my /winwdf/x64 folder, and installed driver "Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad". Windows show me error about unsigned driver, and asked me about it. I press "install anyway", and.. Nothing.  LED still lights, TP still works... I rebooted my PC... And hooray! After FN+F3 TP is off!

1 Message

September 26th, 2013 15:00

I have a Dell Inspiron N4110 with the exact same problem but I don't have an R289237 folder nor do I have the Synaptics.exe on my C drive.

What should I do?

10 Posts

November 18th, 2016 11:00

In windows 10, press the Windows key, type Mouse, it will show up in the system settings category.

Open that dialog box, turn the slider off for Allow touchpad when Mouse is connected.

2 Posts

November 18th, 2016 11:00

I have never gotten this thing to work.  I've had this great laptop since Late July- 2012.  Windows 7, 8 and 10 it's just and off and on light.  Kinda looking for one that sorta works with Windows 10.  I had it installled but every update gets rid of it and the software that runs in the corner.  Now it no longer runs.  Just randomly clicks wherever it wants to.  I'd rather want to disable it for now :(  Until Windows figures out where it's head is.  :(  I gotta keep this page on speed dial..  

No Events found!