Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2015 12:00

Factory Settings

I downloaded Windows 10 and decided it wasn't working for me so I uninstalled and have nothing but problems, keeps saying I have to be the administrator which I am and this has always been my computer but when I try to do a factory restore and use the F8 F10 buttons it asks for my password which I enter what I believe to be it and some others but it says its wrong. I've got everything that goes with the laptop since I bought it from Dell but somehow I don't have a recovery cd or can't find it. Is there a way I can bypass this part?

1.8K Posts

October 27th, 2015 14:00

Hello,

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 or do a direct, clean, install?  If you upgraded to Windows 10 you can do a rollback to your previous operating system version within 30 days.  Not sure whether that will require you to input an administrator's password or not.  

If all else fails you can request a set of replacement Windows installation media online.  For US based customers it's usually a one-time offer for free replacement media.   Not sure what the policies are outside the US as copyright laws differ in each country.

Unfortunately there isn't much else we can do to help you with a forgotten password.  Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Todd

1.8K Posts

October 28th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

What happened when you went to the link above to request media?  Were you successful or did you get a message saying you weren't eligible?

Hopefully a clean install of the original OS (plus updates) will clear up whatever was causing conflicts in your user account(s).

Todd

3 Posts

October 28th, 2015 11:00

Thank you so much!! I'm downloading the backup and recovery right now!! Thanks Todd!!

3 Posts

October 27th, 2015 17:00

Hi Todd, I went to the Microsoft website to download Windows 10, I used it for a couple weeks but certain things I was trying to do or access it kept saying I didnt have administrative rights?? Which isn't right when I am the only owner and user of this laptop so I went into programs and features and uninstalled it, now it seems I have double photo's one set with locks on them. I just want to start over and go back to factory settings. I have two discs that came with it, a utility and driver disc and a drivers and documentation disc

No Events found!