Highlighted
Not a Newb JK
1 Copper

Fan Control?

Hello,

I have a Dell Studio XPS 1640. I would like  to know if Dell has a program that could allow me to control the speed of the system's fan. I have been given pre-canned, fabricated answers like, "The fan adjusts itself automatically to control heat." and "You will only damage the system." but, the reason I'm asking for help is because even with a cooling pad, and a day after taking it apart and ravaging it with a can o' compressed air, I can feel the heat coming from the laptop, and the fan doesn't actually kick in until it could cook an egg (even with the cooling pad). I would just like to know if anyone could help me find a way to control the speed of my system fan so I can keep it around 90% speed. Whether the program is developed by Dell or not, is OK with me. I have tried to use Speedfan and "I8X...(something)" but the system hangs when I try those. If it helps, I have included some of my system specs.

Thank you for reading 😉

P.S. If there is a BIOS lock, or I'm boned and no matter what customer support I ask for, please let me know, or if there is a work-around. Thank you. 🙂

Specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.120402-0336)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Studio XPS 1640
BIOS: gPhoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 X49
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4060MB RAM
Page File: 1752MB used, 8319MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 64bit Unicode
0 Kudos