Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2013 13:00

Fan Noise

I've been looking everywhere for a solution to my problem: my laptop fan makes a really loud ticking sound almost constantly. I have an Inspiron 15z 5523, and I've had it since June 2013. It's been making noise for a couple months now, and it is beyond irritating. It doesn't get very warm either. I tried the condensed air, but it didn't help at all. I am so frustrated. What can I do to fix it?

1.3K Posts

November 1st, 2013 15:00

Hi Kaitmcq13,

We understand how frustrating that can be and hope the steps mentioned below will resolve the issue at the earliest.

Please click on this link to troubleshoot noise issues on your laptop: http://dell.to/17iNYEC

Then, click on this Youtube link for a video on how to update your Dell PC's BIOS in 99 Seconds:  http://dell.to/1fGmlNu

Follow instructions mentioned below prior to the BIOS update.

• Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update.
  • Remove any cd/dvd from the optical drive prior to the BIOS update.
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working wall jack before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will have to replace the BIOS chip or motherboard.

If you still have the same noise issue after updating the BIOS, please run the hardware diagnostics. Steps for running the hardware diagnostics are mentioned in this link: http://dell.to/11NpLCy

Please keep us posted on the results for further assistance.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region ->
US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here

3 Posts

I have the updated BIOS, and all of the tests run by diagnostics passed. The fan is still making very loud clicking noises, and I don't know what else to do.

1.3K Posts

Hi  Kaitmcq13,

Thank you for trying out the steps recommended. Unfortunately, it does not seem to have resolved the issue. Please contact me through private message by clicking on my Dell User-name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

• System Service Tag No.:
  • Registered System Owner's Name:
  • Shipping address:
  • Telephone number/s:
  • Email address:

Please provide details requested above at the earliest and through private message only.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region ->
US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here

3 Posts

November 6th, 2013 13:00

I sent you the information. I hope it helps.

No Events found!