Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2015 14:00

Fan always full speed - L702X

Hello

I recently got a Dell XPS 17 L702X on my hands, discovered it ran pretty hot under load(CPU), and decided to change the thermal paste and remove any dust in the heatsink. I studied a few videos, and went for it. It went great, and the CPU was now running 10-15c lower than before.

Off the bat, it was working properly, and the fan would run slow till ~60c, then ramp up, but one day, it went all out, and ever since, it has been running full speed the entire time. It happend just as i installed a Windows update, and thought to myself, could this be the cause? So I rolled back the C drive, but even then, it's full throttle.

I then decided to completely reinstall Windows 7 and see if that worked.. It did not.

I have tried Dell Diagnostics tool, both from the website and from the boot menu, but none of them detects a problem(does it check the fan?), i also tried to install all drivers from the Dell website, including updating the BIOS, but no luck. It seems there is no way in the BIOS to control the fan speed either.

So i decided to try my luck here, maybe someone got an idea i have not thought of.

Best regards

1 Message

February 19th, 2015 14:00

I'm having similar issue. Probably going to change thermal paste again soon. Hope that does the trick.

2.4K Posts

February 19th, 2015 14:00

Look here.

1 Message

June 5th, 2015 16:00

same problem here. Ive had to leave my laptop at home and not take to college as other people complaiend about the noise!!

Re-pasted, latest bios etc, fans and vents cleaned

13 Posts

January 30th, 2016 11:00

Same problem after upgrading from Windows seven to Windows 10 :

Hard disk usage is most of the time close to 100%.
This leads to the fan working nearly all the time.

1 Message

July 13th, 2016 09:00

Turn off the laptop, and try blowing hard multimple times on the six intake slots on left side of the laptop. I also used a can of compressed air on the same location. My fan is running much less often now.

No Events found!