Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2013 05:00

Fan constantly blowing in new Inspiron 15R

I received a brand new Inspiron 15R 5521 on Wednesday.  It's running Windows 8 and around 30 seconds after starting Windows, the fan starts up and then never stops.  I haven't installed any programs and the fan starts without opening any programs or apps.  I've gone through the device manager and checked that every device has the latest software as well as installing any Windows updates.  It already had the latest bios but I tried re-installing that with no affect.  I've ran through the diagnostics from the boot menu and everything passes.  The computer is not even warm to the touch when the fan starts and the CPU usage is in single figures.  I've also re-installed Windows using the backup image.  What could the problem be and how do I go about fixing it?

145 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 17:00

What's the problem? The fan blowing means the PC thinks it has some reason to keep cool. This could be related to the ambient environment.

58 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 18:00

What are your temps like?

These are mine.....

7 Posts

February 4th, 2013 00:00

The problem is that the laptop is very noisy.  I have two older Inspirons at home (one of which is over 6 years old) and they don't behave in the same way.  I'm at work now so can't check the temperatures till later but the CPU temp was at least 10 degrees cooler than yours is displaying

145 Posts

February 4th, 2013 05:00

"Noisy" is a matter of opinion, so I'll leave that to you. But from experience, my Dell, HP, and Toshiba laptops have all had episodes of high fan usage for (apparently) no reason. Personally I let my PC decide when to cool itself and when not to *shrug*

58 Posts

February 4th, 2013 12:00

As far as the noise issue goes, my laptop's very quiet—even with the fan running full speed.  When it's idle, if you stick your ear close to the keyboard, you can "just" hear the HDD spinning.

When the fan's running flat out, you can hear it—but it's certainly not intrusive, and oftentimes no louder than the ambient noise around the house during the day.  When I'm playing videos or DVDs, I can't even hear it.

We're also running a brand new Toshiba laptop (and an older one) and the DELL's noise is no more or no less than either of those machines.

And as Judah has already said—and I agree—noise is very subjective, and a matter of opinion.

934 Posts

February 4th, 2013 16:00

"lip13"

Things you might want to try.

> Run the task manager and check the CPU load - if no program is running it should be less than 5%. If the

the CPU load is much higher let the system run for at least 2 hours to make sure that  Windows can download and install all necessary updates ! (this update procedure can keep the CPU quite busy - you can manually initiate the windows updates: open charms/click search/choose settings and type "windows update")

> Try running the system in BIOS mode (usually F2 at powerup) with the mains power supply connected to the laptop and observe the fans behaviour.Then test the system  again this time only powered by the battery.

> Under "Power Options" activate temporarily  "Power saver" (or whatever is available) to see if it makes any difference

==============================================

> It is a brandnew system so it is more than right to be suspicious

> to my mind it's unusual for a fan to spin constantly (not very energy efficient if you use your battery)

> Yes - it could be ambient temperature (as Judah pointed out) but it could also be a not properly attached heat sink.......

3 Posts

February 13th, 2013 05:00

I just got an Inspiron 17 model 3721 (the brand new one) and I have the same noisy problem with the FAN.  BTW I had a lot of laptop in the past, and I never saw any doing such noise like this one.  The sound is VERY intrusive and much more louder thant the ambient noise.  

And it start just after Windows 8 finish his initial setup and never stoped.  So what I will do, for sure

1. Remove Windows 8 crappy OS, and replace it with Windows 7.

2. I will install (Speedfan) and monitor the temp and fan speed.

3. If the laptop will still do that noise, I will return it right back to Dell with a refund.  In 2013, such noise from a laptop fan is unacceptable, even for a 600$ laptop.  

BTW, everything is up 2 date, including bios.  I just now know that at full speed, this fan is very noisy.  

1.1K Posts

March 5th, 2013 01:00

Hi Sabey,

Latest BIOS has been updated or Inspiron 3721 on our support site to fix this issue.

Note: Please save any unsaved data as your system will restart automatically after updating the BIOS. Disconnect all the external peripherals like printer, camera, scanner, external hard drive, flash drive etc. Also, the battery should be charged 10% or above.

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/XPXQSZ
  • Click on 'Download Now'.
  • Select 'Single-file Download' and click on 'Continue'.
  • Click on 'Run' and follow the on screen instructions.

Please update the BIOS and share the findings.

10 Posts

June 1st, 2013 14:00

Hello,

I am having the same problem with the fan speed with my new Dell Inspiron 5521 i7-3317U, Full HD with installed Ubuntu 12.04. I PURCHASED THIS LAPTOP YESTERDAY. The FAN is too noisy and 1 min after starting the Laptop, the fan start and is not stopping and is not changing the revolutions at all. What should I do, to return back the Laptop. I saw that there is new version of the Bios AO7.

DELL PLEASE HELP!

2 Posts

June 14th, 2013 21:00

I just bought the Inspiron 15 yesterday.. I have the same noisy fan problem.  I have Inspiron 3521.  The fix posted above is for 3721.  Is that compatible?  Is it safe to download that?

DELL, thanks for the a reply

thanks

Joanna

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 14th, 2013 22:00

Hi yjprice,

You should not update the BIOS file of Inspiron 3721 to Inspiron 3521. Please update the BIOS of Inspiron 3521 using the link below to reduce fan noise

http://dell.to/164RYYt

Please let me know if this helps.

4 Posts

July 10th, 2013 13:00

The same problem.

Inspiron 5521, core-i5, BOIS ver. A08

The noise is stronger than my 6-years old Inspiron 6400. Sometimes it's stops, but not for a long. Here is a screen of dell diagnostics software: http://prntscr.com/1enf0o 5100RPM!!!!

25 Posts

August 3rd, 2013 12:00

Hello, I bought a Dell 3521 Dual Core 2117 U laptop and the fan is soooo noisy, very irritating, I powered it after unboxing it and 1 minute after startup the fan blows continuously, non stop... Please help, I mostly work on laptop in the silence of the night, very irritating for me, with only 1 internet window open, no load on CPU, but still fan blows, what to do,?please help

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2013 14:00

>> what to do,?please help

return it and buy another. I an seriously.  

25 Posts

August 3rd, 2013 15:00

Why r u saying so? On reviews this machine does pretty well.... In community forums I've learned that one should flash the bios, waiting to do that

No Events found!