Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2016 12:00

Fan constantly running when USB-C Port is used

Hi All,

I still have the issue that whenever I connect my WD15 to the USB-C Port of my 9550 the Fan kicks off 10 secs later and keeps running and running. As soon as I disconnect, the fan stops after 15-20 secs. If I connect my normal charger I do not have this issue. Funny enough, I tried connecting the WD 15 without anything attached to it, meaning no devices on the WD15 and not even the Power Cord. And still the XPS15 would get the Fan Level up after 10-15secs.

I was hoping the new Bios and new drivers would cure this. Unfortunately, today´s BIOS did not bring anything to me. I do not even know what it did bring at all tbh, but thats a different story.

Any clues regarding this issue? Help is appreciated.

Regards from cold Berlin!

14 Posts

November 21st, 2017 12:00

same problem with my 9560

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 21st, 2017 13:00

This came up in a NotebookReview thread.  Apparently any time something is connected to the USB-C port (with the possible exception of power-only devices like chargers), the Thunderbolt controller chip in the system powers on, which evidently consumes a fair amount of power, thereby generating heat that triggers the fans to come on.  I don't know if the Thunderbolt controller HAS to power on in systems that have Thunderbolt because it's "in-line" on USB-C even if the port isn't being used in Thunderbolt mode, but that's what's going on.  Anyhow, your specific unit isn't behaving abnormally; that's how it's designed to work, at least at the moment.

No Events found!