Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2015 11:00

Fan noise on XPS 13 (9343, Early 2015)

Hi,

I just received my XPS 13 and the fan noise is louder than I was expecting.  It is on almost constantly and will spin up and down repeatedly.

Is this normal, all I have really done is install office and some other apps.  Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks for any advice offered

February 6th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

I atually have the same issues and would like to know if there is going to be a BIOS Update or something like that. I am using the i7-5500U with QHD+ Display.

Thanks in advance.

Shezan

8 Posts

February 6th, 2015 13:00

Hi

Could you make a video with this issue? Many users complain about 'coil whine' issue and still has no solution.

3 Posts

February 6th, 2015 17:00

In agreement with the other posters. Same problem (new 2015 model too)

4 Posts

February 7th, 2015 00:00

Same problem here as wel, also an i7 model. Hope Dell will fix this soon.

1 Message

February 8th, 2015 14:00

I have exactly the same issue. I have also made a video of it. Seems there is a lot of i7 with QHD+ display experiencing the same issue. I suspect poor cooling solution. Back to the drawing table Dell?

www.youtube.com/watch

6 Posts

February 10th, 2015 13:00

I have the i7 with the 512 ssd configuration. I also have issues with the fan constantly coming on. I talked to Dell Tech Support and they said this is not a known issue. I'm guess most people are purchasing the i5 with 1080p display and therefore are probably not experiencing the fan issue that we, the i7 QHD+ display, are experiencing. The tech support I spoke to said he'll be sending me a replacement unit with the same configurations so I hope that maybe the one I got was a lemon. 

If the problem still remains, I'll probably opt down to the i5 QHD+ display and see how that goes. And if the problem continues on that, I'll just go with the i5 1080p display. Although I really want the touchscreen. And then I can just purchase the m.2 ssd on newegg or amazon. I'm really disappointed in Dell. 

3 Posts

February 10th, 2015 21:00

I have the i7, 512 SSD configuration and the fan noise is incredibly loud with just a couple of tabs in the browser and a text editor open. This is not what I expect with $2000.

After 2 days of use....

4 Posts

February 11th, 2015 22:00

I've just received my new  2015 XPS 13 core i5 1080p 128gb ssd 8gb ram and am experiencing the same problem. I really hate the fan noise; it's extremely loud and comes on randomly even though I'm not doing cpu intensive stuff (watching a video with two extra tabs opened) and goes away after a few moments, then comes back on.

If this is "not a known issue" please make it one because it's driving me crazy.

February 13th, 2015 15:00

Same for me.  i7-5600u model.  Fans are on Constantly.  The bottom of the machine is barely warm.  This is just not right.  I've had cpu usage on about 5% for half an hour.  Fans still raging.

2 Posts

February 14th, 2015 09:00

Came here to also say I'm experiencing this ridiculous fan noise problem. Like the others, I have the QHD+ touchscreen model but with an i5. I noticed the fan comes on when it should but then it just stays on and I can definitely feel there's no hot air being exhausted out the back. The only thing I have found to remedy this is to have the computer off or in standby for maybe a half-hour (hour?). I find it hard to believe this is anything other than a BIOS issue and I'm really hoping Dell responds in this thread along with a nice BIOS update to solve all our fan woes.

February 14th, 2015 13:00

Update: Second day with the device and the fans have been off most of the time now.  I uninstalled just about all the bloatware, but I think it's partly because I haven't done any major installs today.  Going onto youtube.com, just the home page does cause the fans to whir for a few seconds but I've been able to watch some video without the fans coming on.  Hopefully it will stay like this most of the time.

9 Posts

February 15th, 2015 08:00

Hi, I've had my DELL XPS 13 i7 for over a year now and since then  I've been having the same fan problems you mention. As yourself I expected DELL to release a BIOS update to fix the problem but they only released one version since I bought the laptop, the A10 I think it is, but I didn't see any improvements.

If you find it distracting and irritating  I strongly recommend you send it back to DELL because it has been driving me nuts ever since I bought mine.I searched the web for hours but wasn't able to fix it. Some people mention adjusting the power plans but It didn't really improve much.

It is a well known issue as there are many people with the same problem.  

9 Posts

February 15th, 2015 08:00

This was my post from 15 Sep 2013:

en.community.dell.com/.../19524837

And another from 20 Dec 2014:

en.community.dell.com/.../19611190

1 Message

February 18th, 2015 02:00

I've got the same problem. contacted dell technical support, still waiting for an answer wether they will replace my system or not.

1 Message

February 19th, 2015 13:00

Less than 4 hrs with my ne machine xps 13 i7 512 ssd. Fan noise very loude!!! bothers other clasmates in class.... not happy at all! Hope it goes down in the next 24 hrs... or else I will have to return it! If any solution is found please let us know

No Events found!