kuemerle5
1 Copper

RE: Fan noise on XPS 13 (9343, Early 2015)

Came here to also say I'm experiencing this ridiculous fan noise problem. Like the others, I have the QHD+ touchscreen model but with an i5. I noticed the fan comes on when it should but then it just stays on and I can definitely feel there's no hot air being exhausted out the back. The only thing I have found to remedy this is to have the computer off or in standby for maybe a half-hour (hour?). I find it hard to believe this is anything other than a BIOS issue and I'm really hoping Dell responds in this thread along with a nice BIOS update to solve all our fan woes.

BruceBarratt
1 Copper

Update: Second day with the device and the fans have been off most of the time now.  I uninstalled just about all the bloatware, but I think it's partly because I haven't done any major installs today.  Going onto youtube.com, just the home page does cause the fans to whir for a few seconds but I've been able to watch some video without the fans coming on.  Hopefully it will stay like this most of the time.

0 Kudos
Raulland
1 Copper

Hi, I've had my DELL XPS 13 i7 for over a year now and since then  I've been having the same fan problems you mention. As yourself I expected DELL to release a BIOS update to fix the problem but they only released one version since I bought the laptop, the A10 I think it is, but I didn't see any improvements.

If you find it distracting and irritating  I strongly recommend you send it back to DELL because it has been driving me nuts ever since I bought mine.I searched the web for hours but wasn't able to fix it. Some people mention adjusting the power plans but It didn't really improve much.

It is a well known issue as there are many people with the same problem.  

0 Kudos
Raulland
1 Copper

This was my post from 15 Sep 2013:

en.community.dell.com/.../19524837

And another from 20 Dec 2014:

en.community.dell.com/.../19611190

0 Kudos
asifkader
1 Copper

I've got the same problem. contacted dell technical support, still waiting for an answer wether they will replace my system or not.

0 Kudos
jmbustos
1 Copper

Less than 4 hrs with my ne machine xps 13 i7 512 ssd. Fan noise very loude!!! bothers other clasmates in class.... not happy at all! Hope it goes down in the next 24 hrs... or else I will have to return it! If any solution is found please let us know

0 Kudos
ronxps
1 Copper

UPDATE: It's been ok for the last week, except once in a while which I guess is normal and it's not as loud and cracking as before.

0 Kudos
florentin radi
1 Copper

did you received the new replacement yet ? is the fan with same issue ?

i just got mine yesterday same as your and same fan issue. 

Ar they send you the replacement and the will collect the old one at the same time when you got the delivery ,

Or you have to send it first ?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Meng.T
1 Copper

Alright, so my replacement came in two days ago. As far as I can tell, the fan still comes on randomly and stays on for a while. The weird thing is they both have QHD+ screens but my first laptop's screen looked like everything was tinier and the new one they sent me looked bigger. Both are at the 3800x1800 resolution. I'm thinking the issue could possibly be Dell's custom driver for the Intel HD 5500 or this can be fixed with a BIOS update.

And the fan on my first purchase was almost always on and it was LOUD. The replacement they sent me is the same but the fan isn't as loud. I've messed around with the power plan settings and I don't know what to do anymore. I would like to know what the "Config TDP Level" mean though.

I was in class today and turned the laptop on, opened up Excel, and just left it alone for a few minutes. Out of no where, the fan kicked in and I was like "What the heck!? I had just turned the laptop on and opened Excel." I guess it requires that much processing power that the laptop got hot and the fan had to come one. Lol.

I do not know what to do anymore. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! 🙂

I think return policy is 10 days after the replacement unit arrives. So I've got a few days to compare but that's if I feel like comparing. Lol. I doubt there will be any differences. 

BruceBarratt
1 Copper

I think my issue might have been caused by Windows Installer Module.  I had a full day of no fan noise yesterday even though I ran the most demanding things on it yet and doing several things at once.  My suggestion is to make sure everything is updated with windows update and then leave it to cool.  Mine has been fine since the first 2 days after I bought it and I'm enjoying the laptop now.

I did find by googling that people have reported WIM to be causing this problem on other laptops such as the Windows Surface Pro as well.

0 Kudos