Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2016 09:00

Faulty Dell xps 13

I recently ordered the dell xps 13 laptop from dells website whilst they were offering the 10% discount on it around 3 weeks ago. I received the laptop after a week and within a few days noticed a few track pad bugs and glitches where the mouse would jump the screen while scrolling and move erratically. I downloaded the latest bios and these issues seemed to stop occurring as frequently. Because I didn't want to go through the headache of calling customer service for an issue that only came up once or twice. So I ignored it whenever the issue arised and just continued.

2 weeks later, ie today, the computers power settings stopped working. The same time this issue came up there was a crackling sound inside the computer. My first thought was the speakers were acting up so I tried to test them by playing music and then I realised that the cracking was not coming from the speaker, but the actual hardware it self (after listening closely I think its around the touchpad area). I thought the two issues were somehow connected, that I somehow managed to get a virus despite installing literally next to nothing on my laptop (literally just office, Spotify, dell drivers and a game i've had since I got the laptop 2 weeks ago).

To fix the power problems ie, the display sleep and computer sleep times, as it would just shut the display off after 1 minute of inactivity regardless of the power settings. I checked the forums and realised this too was a common issue, someone suggested to reinstall windows and seeing as i only had Microsoft office downloaded I thought it would be fine. I reset windows and managed to fix the issue. However literally as soon as the computer started downloading windows again I could hear that crackling from within the computer. As if that wasn't enough, after re installing the track pad went back to its original erratic state. Id spent atleast 2 hours on the forums and trying to reset my computer and had gotten fed up.

I recalled that this computer came with 1 year of premium support and warranty (as well as the 1 year accidental damage plan I took). So I tried to find out how I could contact customer support. Literally no results. I searched the dell uk website for ages and no definitive email or premium support phone number. I thought these people came to ur house to fix issues? How can dell brag about a service it doesn't offer? After searching for almost half an hour on the dell website all I came across was how to extend my warranty and the benefits of premium customer support...

Incase the person reading this didn't manage to understand what the problem is I will kindly summarise:

The touch pads behaviour is erratic at times ( a common issue)

The power settings don't work ( fixed through reseting the laptop)

There is a crackling noise coming from near the touchpad area, whenever I start up my computer (it lasts for around 10 mins before going away) - (this is also a fairly common issue)

I want to find an email or number for the UK where I can use the premium on site service I have from the 1 year premium customer service subscription. 

Sorry for the semi- rant but I just want to get this fixed asap as I need this laptop for school and I don't have a replacement.

Thanks,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 1st, 2016 09:00

Dell UK premium support:

www.dell.com/.../Dynamic

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2016 06:00

Update:

Realised buzzing is linked to scrolling as I started using a usb mouse and whenever I scroll the buzzing gets noticeably louder.

The speakers have started to pop occasionally and sometimes even completely distort the sound and hang the laptop for a few seconds, starting to fear this laptop is defective.

No Events found!