Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2009 16:00

Faulty nVidia 8400 Graphics Card - Dell Refusing to Replace

I also have an Inspiron 1420 with a nVidia 8400GS chip. My computers graphics card started having problems around Nov 8th, 2008, a little over a year after I purchased it . We called Dell and the representative told us that the nVidia 8400GS chips were faulty, that Dell had extended the warranty on our computer for 1 year, and that they would replace our graphics card for free. I was out of the country at the time so I decided to wait until I returned to the U.S.A knowing I would be back in America before the warranty expired. Fast forward until today, August 5th, 2009. I am now in the United Sates and I checked my warranty status on Dell.com yesterday. As of yesterday, Dell.com said that my warranty expired on August 29th, 2009 (just to be safe I printed off the warranty status information from Dell.com). Also, I just received an offer in the mail which states that my computer's warranty will expire on August 29th, 2009 and wants me to renew.  I called Dell TODAY and they told me that MY WARRANTY EXPIRED LAST YEAR (In August, 2008) AND THAT MY COMPUTER'S GRAPHICS CARD IS NOT FAULTY AND THEY WOULD NOT REPLACE IT. The Dell representative told me that the warranty renewal letter I received was quote, "was an accident."  When I pointed out that I had checked my warranty status on Dell.com the day before and it and it also confirmed that my warranty expired on August 29th, 2009 the representative asked me to "check it now." So, I went online to Dell.com again, checked my warranty status, and GUESS WHAT? It now says my warranty expired LAST YEAR...  After I rechecked my warranty status online the Dell Representative said  that my only options were to buy another warranty, or buy a new nVidia 8400GS graphics card from them which, he claimed yet again, is not faulty.

What on earth is going on? Does Dell just delete people's warranties when it's convenient for them?

TO SUMMARIZE -  I spoke with Dell representative last November who told me that my warranty expired in August of 2009, AND I have two pieces of paper claiming that my warranty expires on August 29th, 2009 and yet Dell is still claiming that my warranty has expired. Also, last November Dell said it would replace my faulty nVidia graphics card for free and now Dell says my nVidia card is not faulty.

What can I do about this? Do I have any options? Please help me! I feel like Dell is trying to scam me. Any advice you can give would be great!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2009 17:00

Contact them again and point this out:

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

3 Posts

August 5th, 2009 18:00

Awesome!  I'll give it a try! Thanks!

1 Message

August 8th, 2009 07:00

Thanks very much for pointing to that blog ejn63.  I have an XPS M1330 which had to have  the whole m/board replaced last August, and the darned thing has started displaying the same symptoms again now a year on.  I was getting worried that it was going to cost me an arm and a leg to get sorted due to being out of warranty, but this article has put my mind at rest that I have a valid case for faulty hardware to be replaced.

1 Message

December 13th, 2009 19:00

Well I have talked to four Dell tech support guys and three of them deny the problem while the fourth told me my laptop (inspiron 1420) shouldn't have that problem even though that information in that link doesn't mention any manufacturing dates.  Three of those support guys told me that since this blog doesn't have a tell article number attached to it, it's 3rd party information and can't be relied upon.

Does anybody have a link to a concrete Dell policy that I can reference?

Thanks

No Events found!