Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2010 11:00

Fixed: Youtube HD video crashes/lockups

Many people have reported problems playing HD videos off Youtube with their Studio 17 1747.  The following instructions have been reported as a fix.

First, be sure to be running the newest files from Dell, the most current updates from Windows Update and make sure your machine is clean of viruses.

Step 1 -- Install newer display drivers:

• Download the 10.1 version of ATI Display Drivers
    Note: These drivers are not from Dell and have been modified by a 3rd party.
  • Extract the downloaded file.  Download is in Rar format, you can use WinRar or 7Zip if you can't extract RAR files.
  • Run the file ati_10.1(8.70rc1)full.exe and make note of where the files are extracted to.
  • In the extracted files, open the folder Bin64 and run Setup.exe
  • Run through the installation 

Step 2 -- Download and install Flash 10.1 Beta 2

• Download this file from Adobe Labs
  • Run "flashplayer10_1_p2_plugin_121709.exe", click the agree checkbox and click the Install button.

Step 3 -- Reboot

• Reboot, duh.

Now, full screen flash should work just fine.  Additionally, you will find that driver is significantly quicker than the factory driver, at least 30% by my rudimentary tests.  These instructions come with absolutely no warranty, use at your own risk!  Be sure to scan all files with your own anti-virus software, etc.

22 Posts

July 14th, 2011 07:00

link not working. where can i find ati_10.1(8.70rc1)full.exe??

6 Posts

Latest BIOS from Dell, latest Flash Player & latest ATI driver should already fixed this problem. Make sure all three are up-to-date.

22 Posts

disabling hardware acceleration, is it like disabling the whole graphics card?

3 Posts

July 14th, 2011 12:00

Hardware acceleration offloads specific tasks from the processor to other hardware capable of handling those tasks.  Disabling hardware acceleration will mean that in some cases your processor will need to do a bit more work, but it really isn't that much of a noticable difference, and it is MUCH better than having your laptop crash on you twice a day.  

Hardware acceleration will not turn off your graphics card.  Here is an article that actually claims it will improve video quality when you turn it off:

www.deskshare.com/.../dmc_turnoffhardwareacceleration.aspx

22 Posts

July 15th, 2011 03:00

>Latest BIOS from Dell, latest Flash Player & latest ATI driver should already fixed this problem. Make sure all three are up-to-date.

yes, done those ages ago.

22 Posts

July 15th, 2011 03:00

I'll try lowering hardware acceleration is if there is no significant difference whenever I'll start using the laptop again. I haven't really been using it because of the crashes. It only costed about 1600 dollars.

6 Posts

July 15th, 2011 06:00

When? 2010? Last time I experienced this problem is early/mid 2010. I remember the problem fixed after installing desktop ATI graphic card driver & flash player beta. After ATI released official driver for mobile, I use driver from them. No problem at all. I'm curious why the problem still happen on your studio.

22 Posts

July 20th, 2011 02:00

I haven't used the laptop for some months because of the crashes. Before that it was crashing often whenever viewing pictures. Now during the past week or so it's not doing that, but I'm not sure what did I do. It almost did it almost twice though when viewing pictures. The other time it went black, so I turned it off, but I was able to turn it back on immediately which was a surprise. The other time it went black for a second, then returned normal.

By the way I cannot lower hardware acceleration as my graphics card won't allow it. The button is faded. I'm administrator.

I have also had some hassle determining which graphics card do I have, is it that 560v or 4650. I think it's choosing 560v. I ordered my laptop with the 4650 one, but now it's indicating it's 560v. But there shouldn't be significant difference.

3 Posts

July 20th, 2011 10:00

The main problem I had with the Alienware Computer was the video freezing and locking up the computer. Had other problems as well since some programs were not compatible with windows-7. After a lot of troubleshooting, this is what 90% of the problems were resolved by, when they ship the computer sometimes the memory sticks are not seated correctly. Reseat the memory sticks and if you are still having problems, try replacing the memory sticks. I had bad ones and after replacing them, no more video problems or locking up randomly.

No Events found!